Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Found a unicorn in my fermenter... (Autolysis?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
TalkingGoats
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Found a unicorn in my fermenter... (Autolysis?)

Brewed a moderate gravity Belgian IPA with WLP550. I let it sit on primary 4 days after it finished for a total of 15 days. I racked into a keg and tasted some. To my surprise it tasted like Vienna sausage. Not kind of like - it was exactly like Armour Vienna sausage. The yeast cake was cement like, 3 1/2" thick and the bottom 1/4" was pure white. I have never seen that before and this was a black beer.

The OG was 1060, finished at 1010, heavily aerated and I did not make a starter. Pitched at 70*, 8 hour lag time, ambient temp was 65* and it took a week to get down to ambient temperature.

I kept it at room temp in the keg a couple days and then through the keg in the fridge.

What should I expect?

RDWHA-VEGEMITE?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
nsrooen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Does not sound promising.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
mclaughlindw4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I guess I am just a noob. I thought I was promised a unicorn in a fermentor. Is this some sort of slang for something? Also, sorry I have no idea (the whole noob thing).

Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4283 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

It sure sounds like stressed yeast. It probably won't improve much, but you could try to age it a bit and see if it gets better.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
TalkingGoats
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaughlindw4 View Post
I guess I am just a noob. I thought I was promised a unicorn in a fermentor. Is this some sort of slang for something? Also, sorry I have no idea (the whole noob thing).
Some people insist that autolysis is a myth(ical creature).

Yooper I miss the old avatar.

I need to make starters I guess. It sure took off though for being a single vial pitch, and it made the biggest yeast cake I have seen yet.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
TalkingGoats
Recipes 

Flavor is mellowing rapidly! It has turned into pepper and spices. I have had very young Saranac White IPA that tasted exactly like what I have now. Don't dump your batches kids.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
SPR-GRN
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

glad it turned around for you, I haven't drunk a Vienna sausage or a unicorn before, not that I would turn it down if I was offered, I'd have one, maybe two, but 5 gallons? Idunnoboutthat

happy drinking

Primary: "air"
Secondary: "Not a Chardonnay" white, Cabernet Franc, Malbec
On Tap: Blonde, Brown, Cider, Marzen
Bottles: King Czar Stout, Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, Christmas Lager, 2 buck chuck wine
Aging: RIP RIP Stout (Rest In Peace Russian Imperial Stout)
Next batch(es): Cider, dirty blonde

Updated: 6-17-2014

Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

When I underpitched S04 to a brown ale I got the worst tasting homebrew I've ever tasted. The flavor has not improved 3 months in bottles now. I dumped most of it, gave some away to whoever would cook with it.

Next up: American Brown Ale
Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingGoats View Post
Flavor is mellowing rapidly! It has turned into pepper and spices. I have had very young Saranac White IPA that tasted exactly like what I have now. Don't dump your batches kids.
So then just maybe it WASN'T the dreaded Autolysis, and maybe it was just green. And Autolysis still remains in the realm of myth for most homebrewers, eh?

Because it's really highly unlikely you would have had such a thing after only 15 days.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
TalkingGoats
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So then just maybe it WASN'T the dreaded Autolysis, and maybe it was just green. And Autolysis still remains in the realm of myth for most homebrewers, eh?

Because it's really highly unlikely you would have had such a thing after only 15 days.
Thats what I thought! I couldn't really explain away why it tasted like meat though... This was my second time using liquid yeast and the first time using a real Belgian yeast. Strange critters making strange smells and flavors.

Quick Reply