First time yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am thinking of harvesting yeast for the first time from my next batch. I have been reading threads about this and have found a lot of info, maybe too much. Since the threads are so long it is hard to find the answer to my specific question.

I use a bucket to primary, when I rack off to the secondary or bottling bucket there is obviously yeast and trub on the bottom. I was wondering if i could simply skim the yeast w/ a cup instead of trying to decant?

My plan from this point is to dump the yeast from the cup(s) into a large jar and mix with my sanitized water. Let the mixture settle then decant into smaller containers. Will the yeast remain in solution for twenty or so minutes or will it settle out on top of the trub?

Is there any reason not to use beer bottles and a capper to store the yeast instead of a mason jar?

Problem that I see is that you want to be sure you're collecting just the yeast, not the trub... I would use the published method of mixing in some water, then decant to a large jar (or jars) and let it settle so you can save just the yeast. The one time I tried to do something similar to what you're mentioning, it didn't go so well. I won't do it that way again.

I'll be interested to know how your harvesting worked out. I saved my last yeast layer in a sanitized mason jar, and it took several days to settle out completely. After three days it was still quite cloudy. It has been seven days now and it is totally separated into trub, yeast and wort. Not sure if I will actually use it (it's the yeast from the Cooper's Real Ale kit), I may just let that be a dry run and go live on the yeast from my next batch (which calls for SafeAle-05).

Problem that I see is that you want to be sure you're collecting just the yeast, not the trub... I would use the published method of mixing in some water, then decant to a large jar (or jars) and let it settle so you can save just the yeast. The one time I tried to do something similar to what you're mentioning, it didn't go so well. I won't do it that way again.

Just a thought, when i mix the yeast in the large jar wouldn't the trub settle out in the jar. So when i decant from the smaller jar i have more control?

Plus, any thought on beer bottles for final containers?

When I've done it I've let the trub settle in the big jars before pouring into other jars. If you have a gallon jar (not a jug) then it will be easier. I would pour into wide-mouth jars (Bell or Mason jars being best) not beer bottles.

The trub usually settles out within the first 30 minutes (or so) from when you've poured it into the first jars. Just watch it so that you don't miss it.

I wouldn't use beer bottles to hold the yeast. Better to use small Ball jars (cup or pint sized). Depending on how much you use the strain of yeast, would be how many jars I split the washed yeast into.

I would put the jars into the fridge to help them settle better. You can do more than one step to get more concentrated yeast. Such as pour the slurry first into a 1 gallon jar. Then split that into two 1/2 gallon, or 4 quart jars. Then, once those settle, pour them into pint or cup jars. Yes, it's a little more work, but you'll get less of the trub with each pour.

Back