First really noticable off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It finally happened... been brewing for a few years now and this is the first time and I've got my first bad batch. It's not bad it's just not something I can see enjoying 5 gallons of.

This was our first kegged beer, so we thought it might be that but upon more reading, the flavor is distinctly "butterscotch" which seems to be well known to be diacetyl. I've read common causes being lag time of fermentation and insufficient aeration, but we aerated it a ton and the fermentation was very fast.

Any thoughts? We used this recipe, doing a 20 minute protein rest, 60 min sach rest at 155F and sparged with 170F water. Fermented in our temperture control unit starting at 58F amebient, bringing it up to 68F at the end.

My guess is that it is the Sorachii Ace. It often leaves an oily, slick mouthfeel which is my guess for what you describe. I have never used it in a wheat. Have used it frequently in a Saison. Cheers!

if it is diacetyl, you should be able to get rid of it for the most part by simply warming up the keg for a couple of weeks. diacetyl is difficult to keep around in the presence of living, non-dormant yeast.

Back