First Lager Ferment Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewinator

Reaction score
I normally don't post threads like this however I made my first lager 2-26-12, was a bohemian pils with an OG of 1.058 because I ended up getting far more efficiency from my decoction mash than planned on.

The yeast (Wyeast 2001, pilsner urquell) I got form NB was 3 months old so I made a 2L starter followed by a 3.5L starter going off what Mr. Malty calculated on the viability of that pack. Id say I had 3/4 of an inch of crashed yeast in the bottom of a gallon jug so pitching rate should not have been an issue.

The wort was transferred to the fermenter, hops, break and all because my screen clogged, the wort was at 48F when this happened. I hit with a good 2 mins of pure O2 through a stone and pitched the yeast.

Fermentation was done in a 53F basement in a water bath with jugs of ice that stayed between 50-52, fermentation took off within 6 hours.

I decided to check it tonight as this is my first lager ferment and its already at 1.018, just a touch above the 1.014 I'm expecting so I brought it upstairs for a D-rest even though I did not really taste any diacetyl in the sample I pulled for the gravity check.

Everything I have read is this yeast acts slow, should I be worried or did I just haven an exceptionally fast lager ferment?

You pitched a lot of yeast and aerated significantly. Seems like that would cause a fast ferment. Nothing to worry about, in fact it's good u checked it when u did so you can do the d-rest

That doesn't seem unusually fast or slow, but I have to agree that your big pitch and generous oxygenation probably countered a lot of 2001's reputed pokiness.

The last lager I brewed was almost finished fermenting in a week, so its not uncommon to have a fast fermentation if you pitch enough yeast. I would say you are right on track and will probably have a tasty beer in about a month :).

Back