Fermenter Head Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmw6300

Reaction score
Is 2.5 gallons of deadspace too much in a fermenter? I ferment in 6 gallon Better Bottles and would like to make 3.5 gallon batches since I am the only one that regularly drinks them and I don't need 2 cases sitting around. Let me know what you guys think.

I have fermented in this manner a few times, with no negative results. Once fermentation starts and Co2 is being produced it will fill the void and protect your brew.

You could send those extra 2.5 gallons to my headspace if you want.

;)

But seriously, I am guessing you like variety, otherwise you would just brew less often, but if you have done it right you can just let those extra beers age longer and have some fun surprises down the road.

You could send those extra 2.5 gallons to my headspace if you want.

;)

But seriously, I am guessing you like variety, otherwise you would just brew less often, but if you have done it right you can just let those extra beers age longer and have some fun surprises down the road.

I do like the variety, being that I haven't brewed the same thing twice yet, (I only started last March). I'm also trying to get it to where I can do a full boil BIAB on my stovetop if I can.

Back