Fermentation Chamber - 5cf Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
I'm looking at a used 5cf chest freezer on craigslist. Can I fit two carboys and a heat element in something that small?

What kind of heat element would I use? I'm looking at the Ranco two stage controller.

I've got a 9 cu.ft cheapie from lowes and I can fit two 6 gal carboys in mine.

Depends on where the hump is and if you want to build a collar for it I guess.

Depends on how big the compressor shelf is. I like Whirlpools because the compressor takes up about half as much space as most other chest freezers. I can fit 5 fermenters in my 15 cf freezer. At 5 cf you will probably not be able to put more than one in without modifying the lid.

I think you'll be happier with a bigger one. Be reasonable but go as big as you can. It helps to try and fit them in at the store too. Freezers may be the same size but might not fit the same ammount of kegs. If you aren't afraid of feeling goofy, make a bunch of 8.5 inch circles and take them to the store and see how many you can fit. It would be handy to have room for a couple of kegs for cold crashing, et al.

If you end up getting a wine fridge like I did, you'll have to McGyver the wiring. I found out the hard way that my wine fridge had an internal thermostat preventing it from getting below 58 degrees, even on the coldest setting. Clip clip and wire wire and the thermostat is bypassed. Now it runs until my Ranco tells it to stop. Will I burn out the compressor? Probably. That'll be fun too.

Latest posts

Back