exact fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all homebrewers,

i have anoter doubt, but this time about exact fermentation temperature.
Namely, I have found recipes this recipe for making Belgian stout beer:
http://www.castlemalting.com/CastleMaltingBeerRecipes.asp?Command=RecipeView&RecipeID=21
Here is written that fermantation should be done at 25 centigrades. When I look at the specifications of S-33 yeast, it is written that ideal temperature is 15-20 centigrades. So, my question is what might happen if i ferment wort from this recipe at 21-24 centigrades.

Cheers,
nexy

From my experience with Belgian yeasts (never having used s-33) you can go well above those temperatures and not have a defect in flavor. Given the style you are making the stronger flavors produced by a hotter fermentation would not overpower the beer. In "Brew like a monk" the author speaks with several brewers that use the 22 degree Celsius range. He even notes times at Ommegang where fermentation hit 33 degrees C due to coolant failures and they noticed to defects in flavors. In short I don't shy away from high temps in Belgian beers, it is pretty much all I brewed in the summer in the past as my house hits 80 F.

Ok, I will take this as yes, you can ferment this style in the range from 21-24 without ruining the beer.
Is the second fermentation with this kind of beers for getting co2 in the bottles done in the usuall way?

Back