Did my primary get ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professorxxl

Reaction score
We brewed a chocolate stout on 10/12, and prepared a wyeast london ale III 1L starter. We used cocoa powder 1min left in boil, if this makes a difference when you read the following. Pitched yeast a couple days later on 10/16. Our carboy was sitting at 68° when the yeast was pitched. Here is a really sweet time lapse I took of the primary after pitching and aerating (aerating done with opposite end of all grain plastic spatula stirrer).

http://youtu.be/khAt-1dIHuQ

As for the fermentation concern, it was getting up near 77° (27 hrs after pitching) and after ruining our pumpkin with banana/bubble gum flavor when it reached that high... I decided to cool down the carboy and put water in the cooler that the glass carboy was sitting in (attached pic is setup). This brought it down to about 68° or so within the day, and fermentation slowed immensely at that point. I took out most of the water a few days later hoping it would get active again, but it's been sitting at 68° and for about a week letting off a bubble every now and then or so it seemed, if I tapped the blow off tube.

We're now at 17 days in the primary and I have considerably more trub at the bottom(pic) than other brews, including the pumpkin. Also have a subtle cakey layer on top. Fermenter sitting around 67°.

Any advice you can give would be great!

Thanks and cheers!

Pics attached.

1414968612982.jpg

1414968673498.jpg

1414968725587.jpg

Sometimes rapidly lowering the temp like that can cause the yeast to stall out and stop fermenting. However, it sounds like you still have fermentation going on, so I wouldn't worry too much. You might have some off flavors from the higher temp fermentation, but not much you can do about that now. The lesson learned it to take a more active role in the temp control early on to prevent the temp spike.

That layer on top looks like normal krausen. I'd take a same to measure the gravity and see how your fermentation is going. Or you could wait until the krausen falls, give it a few more days to a week, and call it good. It's probably done by this point anyway.

Same thread as a few posts down - same advice applies.

Also again - why wait 4 days to pitch yeast, why let it get so hot before you did anything?

At this point, it likely has some off flavors. Leave it alone and let the yeast work on it - like 3 more weeks. At 77* fermentation was probably done in 3 days - but it's not done.

Back