Did I Ruin my Secondary Batch/Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endless889

Reaction score
hey hey,

with spring wetaher, it's hard to keep a constant temp in my upstairs rooms (where i was beginning to store/ferment) till i could move down to basement. so yesterday i headed down to DC (from jersey) on my day off to support my phillies. the weather at home was supposed to be 70ish but jumped up to 85 + ..when i got home in the evening the thermometer read 76 and i fear it may have spiked to 78-80 in the closet.

in the closet i have

apflewein (3 weeks at 70-72 degrees so i'm not worried since it's more a cider/wine yeast and probably not spoiled)

hazed and infused clone in a secondary (a week in primary at 68 and slowly rose (averaginh 70 last few days) to possibly that spike yesterday which i immediately brought back down to my basement last night and let it cool down to 62) ...is this batch ruined?

and i bottled up a young's chocolate stout that was in a primary and fermentrs at 62 degrees but bottled and stored at 70 (as recommened from what i read) with again that potential spike yesterday. i also moved these down to my basement at 62 and will keep them there till ready to consume (and then some)

what do you guys think and what do you normally store/ferment at. is 62 ok? my beer seems to be fine at 62 usually, but i;ve been reading about 70 being better? i know with aplfewein's i needed my yeast to be in a warmer climate for it really to take off.

thanks!

jay

ps: go phillies:)

your beer is most likely fine

from the sound of it most of your fermentation is done and therefore you shouldn't get any off flavors from the yeast at this point. If this had happened during the first few days you would probably get a fruity flavor I think.

keep it oin your basement from now on and you should be good to go, what temp does your basement hold during the summer months?

I wish I had a basement, stupid caliche

my basement holds 60-62 on average but about a month ago it was dipping to 58-59 cause we had a little cold weather rip through ...i just read alot about storing/fermenting at 70 ...i'm a recent convert from mr.beer and just put everything in the basement and never had problems with my beer. as i made the switch to 5 gallon mini mashes, usually more steps are involved and temp control is key. ui was just hoping to go back to basement storing/fermenting all the time cause i have the space and the temp is a constant. it's just 62 compared to the recommended 70?

well keep in mind while you are fermenting the temperature of the wort will be probably 5-8 degrees higher than the ambient temp. if you are at 62 the wort will actually be 67-70 degrees, which is probably spot on in my opinion

Latest posts

Back