Condensed Stater Wort? Anyone doing this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermit

fuddle
Reaction score
Seems like a good idea. Put up pints that can be diluted with boiled water when you do a starter. Then you double (or more) your productivity when you brew up and can a batch of starter wort.

It would seem that his would really pay off when doing large starters.

If your already doing this what is a good gravity for the canned wort? What dilutions ratios are you using?

I use a pressure canner. I pound of dme per gallon. Put in quart mason jars. It's a snap to make a starter this way. I usually can 3 gallons at a time so I don't have to can that often.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Use a mash or dme and shoot for 1..038 to 1.040. If starting old yeast or a small sample, you can dilute to 1.025 or so to make it easier on old/stressed yeast.

Use a mash or dme and shoot for 1..038 to 1.040. If starting old yeast or a small sample, you can dilute to 1.025 or so to make it easier on old/stressed yeast.
What I'm thinking about is a higher OG so I can dilute it down. Start with a pint and fill to a quart or so.

The first time I did this was by accident--I pulled off an extra 3 quarts or so from my mash after reaching pre-boil volume for my beer. While I was cleaning up from brew day, I put it on the stove and boiled it down to 1.067 wort, and then "canned" it in sanitized jars. I use a calculator to determine who much sterile water to add in order to get a starter gravity in the 1.035 range. I think it's about a 1:1 ratio.

The first time I did this was by accident--I pulled off an extra 3 quarts or so from my mash after reaching pre-boil volume for my beer. While I was cleaning up from brew day, I put it on the stove and boiled it down to 1.067 wort, and then "canned" it in sanitized jars. I use a calculator to determine who much sterile water to add in order to get a starter gravity in the 1.035 range. I think it's about a 1:1 ratio.
To can half pints I would probably have to throw in some DMS/sugar to get the gravity high enough. Still, pints would be a big savings in time and space over quarts.

Back