Can't break activator inside Wyeast package

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmacmil

Reaction score
I am only 1 for 4 in successfully breaking the activator packet inside the Wyeast package. I have watched the videos on the Wyeast site but still no luck (except once). I know I can just open the activator and pitch into the wort with the yeast but I'd like to see that package swell the way it's supposed to. Any helpful hints for me?

Smack it harder, after you've isolated the pack (one end) and make sure it's not going to move on you (cup your hand)... Use your 'pimp' smack... :eek:

Of course, if you also make a starter, then it won't matter if you popped the packet or not. The packet, for me, is just to prove that the yeast is still viable IF I've had it in the fridge for a while. I usually pull it from the fridge an hour or two before I make my starter. Let it warm up, smack the biotch, let her swell up and then pitch into the flask on the stir plate. 24 hours later, it's ready to rock and roll in the brew wort. :rockin::ban:

Making/using starters is very simple/easy. IMO, there's really no valid reason for not using one. You'll get much shorter lag phase times when using a starter. Even shorter when you also use pure O2 to oxygenate the wort before pitching the yeast (the brew, not the starter). With a stir plate, you can make much smaller starters.

For your own education, use Mr. Malty to show what size starter you should be making. Try the different methods with the liquid yeast (simple starter through stir plate)... For the exact same OG and batch size, there's a huge difference in starter size from one to the other (simple to stir plate). For example, a batch I have coming up, with an OG of 1.068 (6 gallons into primary) would need a 4.6L simple starter, but only a 1.72L starter on my stir plate... That saves a good amount of DME (helps the stir plate to pay for itself pretty fast)...

Any batch with an OG of over ~1.030 (for 5 gallon batch sizes) WILL benefit from using a starter. Since most of us know what we're brewing at least a week (or a few days) before that day, there really is no excuse for not making a starter. You can also make a stir plate for pretty cheap money (if you want). Or just buy one, with a range of prices/options being available.

Locate the activator pack and push it to the corner of the package so you know exactly where it is. Lay package flat on a table. Smack it hard with the palm of your hand. Works everytime...

I let swmbo do it every time because she thinks its the funniest thing in the world. Shes not exactly buff either. Don't be scared of breaking the outer package, just lay it on a table and smack it.

I'll be the lone voice of disagreement on the “smack it harder” opinion. Only took once having the seam on the pack split to figure there had to be a better way.

There’s a “V” shape in the bottom of the pack. With the pack on a hard surface like a kitchen counter, move the nutrient sack to that center bottom location. Rest one hand on top of the other, like you’re giving CPR. Push all your weight down firmly on the sack. I weigh 160 pounds and it works for me every time.

I’ve even done this on the tank of my motorcycle at the brew shop. Nice bumpy ride home and the pack was swollen and ready to pitch.

Back