Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can the washed yeast go to bottom layer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
kansasbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Can the washed yeast go to bottom layer?

I washed some Nottingham yeast from my last batch of beer. I poured off the first water after 20 minutes and then repeated that twice. What I got after the final quart of liquid stratified (days later) was what looked like about 1/2 inch of pale, creamy colored yeast at the bottom, about two inches of darker greenish (but then I'm color blind so it could be tan)layer of something above that, and then water above that. I thought the trub was supposed to be the bottom layer and the yeast above that, but it looks reversed. Does some yeast go to the bottom after washing? I could imagine that some of the particulate that remained after three twenty minute intervals was light weight particles of waste that is lighter than yeast. But, it seems backward.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
TzeentchPlayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I wouldn't worry about it too much. To me the goal of washing is to reduce the amount of trub in your harvested yeast.

You think you have an infection? See what they really look like here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
kansasbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not so much worried as wondering if it is in fact the yeast on the bottom. The color and amount suggest it is the yeast, but the fact that it is the bottom layer really makes me question my judgment.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #4
DaytonBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That sound a bit opposite to how I have been washing mine. Seeing as you are wanting to remove the trub, hop solids and such once I shake with the added water and let separate for 10-20min I keep the top portion of yeasty water and toss the settled portion on the bottom. And probably do this twice before I end up with like 2 vials of fairly white yeast slurry. Keeping the top 1/2 or so with the yeast in suspension and tossing out what settles in the short time.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's possible. It depends on the molecular weight of the constituent components of you harvested solution. If your proteins were smaller chain amino acids and you yeast was bonding to each other for some reason, it's entirely possible that your yeast fell out of solution before the proteins.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
kansasbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I do keep the yeasty water. I did that three times as advised in the sticky on yeast washing. I didn't split the final into three small jars but kept it in one quart jar. If I was better with color, I'd be more confident about which is which, but again, the amount of light colored creamy stuff on the bottom and the much larger darker layer above makes me think Tarheelbrew13 is right--something to do with molecular weight etc.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasbrew View Post
Thanks. I do keep the yeasty water. I did that three times as advised in the sticky on yeast washing. I didn't split the final into three small jars but kept it in one quart jar. If I was better with color, I'd be more confident about which is which, but again, the amount of light colored creamy stuff on the bottom and the much larger darker layer above makes me think Tarheelbrew13 is right--something to do with molecular weight etc.
I have seen a number of yeast washing posts about Notty that say this. I think it just settles out really fast. You definitely want the creamy layer, but that little bit of trub won't hurt anything in your next batch.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasbrew View Post
Does yours look like this? If it does, then you have some very clean yeast. This is about 40-50 mL. of S04 in a pint jar.

washed-yeast.jpg

Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Prob the dead yeast on the bottom. Think yeast nutrient; dead yeast cells are used as yeast nutrient & are prob heavier than healthy living yeast. Thats my best guess & seems likely.

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I had a number of batches of yeast do this and I worried about it until I made up a batch directly from a smack pack. Guess what...the yeast was on the bottom of the jar and a little foggy worty looking stuff above it with a clear wort above that. I quit worrying about it and have been using the yeast without any problems.
My biggest current head scratcher is with WLP 029. I can not get the yeast to seperate from the trub. I get a huge harvest, some of which I know is trub but will not seperate. This is the first time I have tried to havest it and have not used it yet, so I guess time will tell???

Quick Reply