Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
meltroha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Belgian yeast

Brewed a tripel last Saturday, I started fermentation at 64° for a day or so, then have been between 66° & 68° since. There is still very thick krausen, and blow off is still bubbling every 10 or so seconds. I have not taken a gravity reading, or switched the blow of for an airlock yet, because I want to bring it up to 78° - 80° for the rest of primary, I am wondering when I should do this? I want a decent amount of funk, and plan on leaving in primary for a total of 4 weeks.

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Funk is more of a term describing a sour beer, which belgian yeasts for a trippel typically don't provide. Your idea of raising temps would be fairly typical for Belgos. Your ferm plan sounds solid.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
reed1911
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I always associate funk with the general qualities that go with farmhouse ales. Sour is a possible sub-heading under funk, but I usually don't include it. Grassy, sweaty, barnyard, hay, sweet, and the other smells generated by and ofter attributed to Brett are funk. Sour is the acidic flavor and smell given by lacto. and pideo.

As to the original question; it all depends on which yeast and what you are after. Generally speaking, the higher and faster you raise it the more funk you will get. 2-4 degrees a day will not hurt anything and some will handle much faster and hotter temps. If this is your first time with this yeast, go slow, and don't overdo it. If you don't get enough funk in this batch you can brew another one with no problem. But with the time and $ invested in a triple you don't want to end up with an unpalatable high alcohol beer. Funk is so subjective it pays to be cautious. I love funk, but I've also had others beer that they love and just tastes like gym socks to me. In the same note, some think the ones I love taste the same way.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
I always associate funk with the general qualities that go with farmhouse ales. Sour is a possible sub-heading under funk, but I usually don't include it. Grassy, sweaty, barnyard, hay, sweet, and the other smells generated by and ofter attributed to Brett are funk. Sour is the acidic flavor and smell given by lacto. and pideo.

As to the original question; it all depends on which yeast and what you are after. Generally speaking, the higher and faster you raise it the more funk you will get. 2-4 degrees a day will not hurt anything and some will handle much faster and hotter temps. If this is your first time with this yeast, go slow, and don't overdo it. If you don't get enough funk in this batch you can brew another one with no problem. But with the time and $ invested in a triple you don't want to end up with an unpalatable high alcohol beer. Funk is so subjective it pays to be cautious. I love funk, but I've also had others beer that they love and just tastes like gym socks to me. In the same note, some think the ones I love taste the same way.
Thanks, that's the answer I was after, I'll go up a degree our two this week, to get up to 78° got the final two weeks, cheers man!

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Quick Reply