The beer that wasn't to be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rycov said:
what esb did you brew? i just did one based off of motor brewers ESB in the recipe section, hit my numbers and the next day, bam, that thing went off. although i think i used s-04, and he calls for something else. but it was the first time i had to use a blow off tube

one from brew masters warehouse recipe list. I used wyeast ESB yeast, and I think that has been going well. Was going to use Essex, or s-04, but he had that so I thought I would give it a try.

yeah. i just used the s-04 because i was ordering from midwest and they didn't have the yeast the recipe called for. i've heard good things about s-04 so i figured i'd give it a shot. smells pretty good right now, had a really active fermentation, just waiting to see how it tastes!

I used Essex in the red, and really has lots if fruity aromas, curious to see how it is out of the bottle.

Checked the messed up stout, was still 1.040 when I pitched the champagne yeast. Then I swirled them in good, and it fizzed up again, ill check it end of the week and see how it goes.

OK, I want to update status/ get advise on where to go from here:

Pitched Champagne yeast 2 weeks ago, agitated, checked 1 week later still @ 1.040... Agitated Again... And today (One week Later @ 1.040) It appears there is nothing left in this beer to ferment! If I bottle now do you think it will carb properly and taste something like beer?
My biggest concern is WILL IT CARB?
don't the yeast usually take a little priming sugar and use up that extra boost of food to do their job?
So do you think they have already used the priming sugar from when I bottled the first time?

Sorry for so many questions, but it is my first time with a beer that didn't "just work."

Thanks again

OK, so I did bottle this, it carbed very nice, and turned out to be a pretty interesting stout. in a good way. so thanks for all the help, and I will not be intentionally brewing this again, LOL

Back