Beer is sticky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhead22

Reaction score
1.064 start
1.014 current.

It has a slight sweet taste too it. I don't know if it's really too sweet. I took a sample for gravity the little bit on my hands dried out to be pretty sticky like pop. Fermentation is putting off maybe 1 bubble per minutes maybe 2 bubbles. My og was 1.056 but I added a pound of honey and by my math I come up with 1.064 corrected og.

Fermenting 10 days. Safbrew s-33 for a witbier started fast and aggressive bubbles within 3 hours of pitching and hit FG in 2 days.

So why is it still so sticky like it has a lot of sugar left?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Stella dries out to be particularly sticky, I haven't noticed it so much but with others, but it happens.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Any beer over 1.000 will have residual sugar and will leave sticky sugars behind when the water evaporates.

Also depends on your mash temp. If two beers are made to the same OG, one was mashed at 156 F and the other at 149 F, and they end at the same FG, the one mashed at 148 will always be sweeter because of the way we perceive the sweetness of mono- and disaccharides compared to longer chain sugars. If you mashed low and the FG finishes at 1.014, that might be the reason for the sweetness. I've had other beers though that finished around there, but
there were likely more dextrans than anything else left, which aren't as sweet.

Oh, and all beer is gonna be sticky in your hands, even dry beers! I've spilled plenty of lambic on my hands with the same result :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thank you. My main concern was maybe my yeast stalled. It's still going and doesn't taste too sweet at all.

Back