Beer looks to be fermenting, but no krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theviking999

Reaction score
So my IPA from yesterday looks to be very active which is good, it has however not really formed any krausen yet. Should I worried? (See picture)

In my almost 2 years of brewing this hasn't happened to me before.
The beer is an IPA using US-05 yeast.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390144353.636487.jpg

Looks like there were some simple sugars in there. Looks more like a cider fermentation

No oats - It was a 1 gallon batch with 2lb Pale Ale Malt and 0.2 lb Caramel Malt 20L.

Could I have boiled it too hard? I was pretty careful but you never know...

i've had that happen before with a wit that included a pound of oats, others have posted the same result with oats. of course, oats have been used for ages without a problem too. you have something in your beer that is keeping the krausen from forming and it will be interesting to see if your beer has foam in the glass.

So wanted to give an update on this beer. Today it was time to bottle. Its about 2 weeks since I brewed and the beer seems ready. I have attached a picture of the beer just before bottling.

It didn't quite clear up as much as I hoped, but I am hoping it will clear up a bit in the bottle. It definitely smells like beer and also tastes like a flat beer at this point so I am quite optimistic.

I will give an update again in two weeks time when I plan to drink the first one. Its going to be interesting to see the head formation and retention on this very low krausen beer.

photo.JPG

I recently did an ipa where the gravity came out extremely high. About 1.076, but it was suppose to be 1.056. Every hydrometer reading I took had it fermented down to 1.012 but it had no krausen either.

Judgement day .... it's now (almost) two weeks since I bottled and I couldn't wait any longer I had to try it.

As you can see the beer looks pretty normal. Not the best head retention and a bit too cloudy for my taste - but not bad at all.

Taste-wise it's great!! Turned out nice and hoppy as expected.

Based on this, the conclusion must be that the missing (or very small amount of krausen) doesn't seem to have had a big impact the beer.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392333231.377219.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back