another yeast starter thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boredstate

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a 5.25 gal batch of imperial stout tomorrow with an anticipated OG of 1.087. I made a 2L starter for my Wyeast irish ale yeast wednesday night. I'm not sure where I went wrong in my initial calculation, but apparently I should have made about a 3.1L starter instead of just a 2L with 1 smack pack & intermittent shaking (I do not have a stir plate) according to Jamil's calculator. I am just now realizing this just as I was about to start cold crashing it.

Assuming I had 100% viable yeast as Wyeast claims their packs do, I of course now have approx. 200 billion cells with my 2L starter. Jamil's calculator says I need about 310 billion.

Theoretically, I'm now effectively using 2 vials of yeast if I've doubled my yeast count with the 2L, & Mr. Malty is saying to use a 1.22L starter with 2 packs of yeast to reach 310 billion cells.

I would not be able to make any additional starter until about 7pm tonight. Would there be enough time for it to finish & settle out to be ready for pitching tomorrow around 4pm? Would this put any additional strain on the yeast or result in any negative effects that I may not be aware of?

Or should I just not worry about it & go ahead with the cold crash?

Back