Age in primary or keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoblue

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA on 1/6/11. The OG was like 1080, it was a kit with other fermentable sugars (DME and cs). i know thats high and probably didnt add the correct amount. My gravity now is 1040. Should I leave it in my primary longer or put it in my keg and let it age. I havent taken a second reading but will do tonight. 1040 seems high. If its still that high do I need to pitch some more yeast. But my main question is to whether to age in primary or in keg?

Leave it in the primary until it is done fermenting. At 1.040 your probably not finished. Its a big beer, give it lots of time, another month wont hurt it.

If it is a stalled fermentation, there are a couple of things that you could do to it though I am not an expert. If the gravity doesn't change at all in the next few days you will know for sure.

Was it a double IPA kit? 1.080 is feasable if it was. As for 1.040, that is way to high, I'm not sure exactly where you are predicted to end up, but I'm sure you would want to be under 1.020, probably somewhere in the ballpark of 1.016-1.018.

Took a reading lastnight and it was at 1.010 so I transfered to a keg. Think it will sit in there for a while since my other keg is hooked to the gas and is still carbing.

Wow that's around 9.2%. It should be pretty good but will definitely need some time to condition. Do you remember what the kit was and where you got it from? Sometimes with a kit with an ABV this high it's actually cheaper to buy it as a kit then to piece meal it all out.

Back