62 Degrees Ambient - Too Low for WLP001?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I brewed two beers today - Jamil's Hefeweizen (WLP300) and Jamil's Amber (WLP001). He suggest fermenting the Hefe at 62 and the Amber at 67. I have a keezer with a temp control. I have the probe taped to the Hefe to keep it at 62, which is where its at right now.

My issue is that my basement ambient is about 68 and I'm worried that once the amber really gets going, it's going to ferment a bit too warm. Anybody try fermenting the WLP001 at around 60 ambient? Too low?

Thanks!

Regarding this particular yeast, is it safe to ferment an ale with it in a temperature range of 70 to 75 F, or is that going to cause problems? How much of a temperature range is acceptable for this yeast strain?

I would do both at 62.

The Hef turns out great at 62 and I have used 001 at 62 many times with good results.

Worst case scenario, the hef finishes in a week, you rack the hef and turn up the amber to 67 over a couple of days. I don't think you'll need to do that, but it would work if you do.

Eric

ambient? Nope it wont be too low, temps will be higher inside your FV. I actually set my ambient for 60 to get an inside temp of 65.

I would personally have the amber at the lower range for the first 2-3 days (until the heavy fermentation starts to wind down) THEN take it out and leave it at 68 to finish up.

If you start at 68 ambient, it can get up into the mid 70s and during fermentation it can lead to off flavors.

However, I just looked and saw that the optimum temps for 001 is 68-73°F. Wow, didnt realize it was so high!

I guess either method would work. The one I said above or just putting it at 68 and letting it roll.

Back