Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2 rehydrations 2 different results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
smellgoats
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 rehydrations 2 different results

Hey all, in the midst of making a Rye Pale Ale OG ~1.050

Rehydrated 2 packets of yeast: Nottingham Ale Yeast, and Safbrew T-58. The nottingham came with the kit, the safbrew I had as a safety/back-up. Currently after proofing, the nottingham is barely doing anything, alot of sediment on the bottom a little activity under the surface. The safbrew is bubbling quite a bit like I am used to seeing. I don't have any experience with Nottingham, is this normal or is it possible dead? Pitched the proofing wart at the same temp as re hydrating water in both cases. Any harm in pitching both in an average OG beer? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

No harm whatsoever in combining. Some yeasts start up slower than others. I suppose it's possible you got a bad pack though. If the notty is dead it will act as a nutrient for the T58.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
smellgoats
Recipes 

alright, well i pitched both, guess we will see what happens.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
smellgoats
Recipes 

Update, the beer tastes pretty off. Cant deicde if its the combination of yeasts or something else along the way. Has a belgianlike finish on an ale. Thats the best way I can descibe it, which isnt good. Its almost moldy tasting...

Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's probably the T-58. I tried it once; it tasted Belgian in all the wrong ways. Sharp and medicinal.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
mcritchlow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
That's probably the T-58. I tried it once; it tasted Belgian in all the wrong ways. Sharp and medicinal.
this yeast is pretty temperature sensitive in my experience and very different from what you'd expect from a belgian yeast (warm to hot ferm temps). i make a belgian pale with it and ferment low (appx 62F). Great beer, no sharp or medicinal flavors at all and pretty darn tasty belgian flavors i expect.

that said, mixing Notty and T-58 sounds downright terrifying to me.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
smellgoats
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcritchlow View Post
that said, mixing Notty and T-58 sounds downright terrifying to me.
It is, kind of a noob panic moment, i double pitched because I thought I got ahold of a bad pack. It is not undrinkable, but it almost is and I am blaming the yeast combo 100% I shelved a case of it in the celler and im gonna let it sit for a good bit before I do something rash like dump it all...

Quick Reply