• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Anyone use label peelers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bigger online stores seem to have fresher ingredients than my lhbs. Some of their prices are insanely high too. I rarely see anyone when I go in there. Plus, the employees are pretty melted(it's also a head shop), and don't really have any good advice.

As for the OP...

I've never used Label Peelers. Lately, I've been buying stuff from ritebrew.com. Pretty good pricing.

These guys actually had fermenters of IPA going on in the store back when they were in their old location. And IIRC one of them has built an RO system for pilsners. Quite legit.

I'm holding out for another 20% off sale before I order the rest of this year's hops.

Label Peelers is great. I buy a lot of my bulk hops from them. $16 bucks a pound sure beats $3.50 an ounce locally. I am not sure why these threads always devolve into people encouraging the OP to buy from his LHBS. It's really not what he was asking and there is no need to post the same thought multiple times.

Oh, I've bought from LabelPeelers, and was very satisfied with them, particularly when they run their sales.

I only brought up the OP's LHBS as they are too often an overlooked or dismissed alternative source. With present internet sales and sometimes very decent shipping rates any brew store can be your Local HBS. Just got to plan a few days ahead, and don't ship liquid yeast during extreme cold/hot seasons.

And there remain advantages to having a shop locally, although it's not for everyone.

Especially when half the LHBSs out there are awful. My nearest is 50 miles away but it is dark, dusty and nothing is marked in there. When you get up to the register, it is at least 20% higher than it should be. I wouldn't shop there if it was next door.

If I head 65 miles the opposite way, there is a LHBS that knows how to run a business. It's just too damn far!

Agreed, when they suck stay away from them like the plague. Driving 50 miles to a store that doesn't cut it or gouges prices makes no sense. But I would drive 50 miles (one way) for a group grain buy, and would probably drive even further if I had to.

Oh, I've bought from LabelPeelers, and was very satisfied with them, particularly when they run their sales.

I only brought up the OP's LHBS as they are too often an overlooked or dismissed alternative source. With present internet sales and sometimes very decent shipping rates any brew store can be your Local HBS. Just got to plan a few days ahead, and don't ship liquid yeast during extreme cold/hot seasons.

And there remain advantages to having a shop locally, although it's not for everyone.

Agreed, when they suck stay away from them like the plague. Driving 50 miles to a store that doesn't cut it or gouges prices makes no sense. But I would drive 50 miles (one way) for a group grain buy, and would probably drive even further if I had to.
I take no issue with your post. I was referencing the person who posted the same thing three different times encouraging the OP to buy from a LHBS.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back