You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe in bucket lists (what happens when you complete it :eek:), but I've always wanted to do this.

A number of years ago I inquired as to the cost of getting a license, including instruction, plane rental, gas, etc. and the cost was about $5000. Don't know what it is today but with the price of fuel down, I can't imagine it being much different if not cheaper.

It all looks so deliciously complicated I just want to solve all the mysteries associated with it. Sort of like brewing. :)

When I got my license in 2006, in CA, it cost me about $8k. I was in college and had to use student loans to do it. But now the Air Force pays me to fly F-16's, so it was worth the "up front cost."

When I got my license in 2006, in CA, it cost me about $8k. I was in college and had to use student loans to do it. But now the Air Force pays me to fly F-16's, so it was worth the "up front cost."

Well, that's California pricing. :)

Very cool on the F16. My nephew flies F15s out of Okinawa but if I had a choice (as if I'd ever :) ), I'd rather the F16. I just want to see what all the hoo-haw is about. :)

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds amazing! I'm from Tulsa, which is why I asked. Two things I wanted to be growing up more than anything else: A pilot, and a storm chaser. The one that remains on my bucket list is to get my pilot's license.

In my 43 years of life on this planet, I have lived more years in Tulsa than anywhere. 1992-2008 with a 18 months in Liechtenstein, a couple of years in Iraq and a year working in Washington State.

I am a little pissed that after owning a home a 1/4 mile from downtown since 1994 and hearing about the revitalization of said downtown the whole time...about 2010 it was actually completely done.

FYI, if you lived in Tulsa from 1992-2006 I likely served you food or a drink at some point. Even after I graduated and got a "real" job, I still pulled shifts bartending for fun and profit.

Well, that's California pricing. :)

Very cool on the F16. My nephew flies F15s out of Okinawa but if I had a choice (as if I'd ever :) ), I'd rather the F16. I just want to see what all the hoo-haw is about. :)

Is he in the Bat's or Cock's? One of my best friends just left there.

When you come up with some new dishes for weekend meals, then start trying to imagine what home brews might go well with them!:rockin:

When you come up with some new dishes for weekend meals, then start trying to imagine what home brews might go well with them!:rockin:

I spent all morning searching and planing out a garlic wine.
Never used garlic wine or needed it, but I have an extra 2 pack of wine yeast and grew a ton of garlic last year. ( I put garlic in everything I cook)
Now I am looking up recipes for a garlic wine I have yet to make, just so SWMBO doesn't think I am loon!

If I don't have something fermenting I get antsy!

First time i've heard of garlic wine? It's interesting that what we sometimes think will go well with a given food, doesn't go as well as the one we thought wouldn't...

Never used garlic wine or needed it, but I have an extra 2 pack of wine yeast and grew a ton of garlic last year. ( I put garlic in everything I cook)
Now I am looking up recipes for a garlic wine I have yet to make, just so SWMBO doesn't think I am loon!

Split the batch and toss some brett in? Sounds like something you would find at the Gilroy Garlic festival.

I saw one of those images on FB the other day that said:

"I see recipes calling for one clove of garlic.

One clove of garlic is not enough for any recipe, unless it's a recipe for 'How to cook one clove of garlic' - Even then, use two."

Truer words have not been spoken.

I saw one of those images on FB the other day that said:

"I see recipes calling for one clove of garlic.

One clove of garlic is not enough for any recipe, unless it's a recipe for 'How to cook one clove of garlic' - Even then, use two."

Truer words have not been spoken.

My grandma (dad's mom) used to make the best Mexican cornbread. The recipe called for a clove of garlic. She thought that meant a HEAD of garlic. My mom tried to explain the difference to her but grandma said there was no way one of those little sections would be enough...

A clue on the crossword puzzle is "Substitute for gelatin," but "isinglass" doesn't fit ...

Eh, you need a lot more than good recipes to be successful. You need a solid business plan. Hell, even with a solid business plan and not great recipes you can be successful (look at No Label in Katy, TX, their beer really isn't that good but they seem to be doing well).

Eh, you need a lot more than good recipes to be successful. You need a solid business plan. Hell, even with a solid business plan and not great recipes you can be successful (look at No Label in Katy, TX, their beer really isn't that good but they seem to be doing well).

I didn't say... meh, nevermind.

I bet DME may add a little extra something if you put it in your coffee. If I added sugar to my coffee I would try it.

Ive stirred an ounce or two into buttered noodles with salt and pepper and its floccing delicious. You should try it. Super cheap easy and quick

Ive stirred an ounce or two into buttered noodles with salt and pepper and its floccing delicious. You should try it. Super cheap easy and quick

Oh man I bet it's great in sticky rice too. And grits. And in malt-o-meal.

I need sticky rice for breakfast soon.

When you go to the grocery store and buy a $20 bottle of beer and a $9 bottle of vodka.

Why does someone buy these two things? Because good beer is important, and airlocks are getting dry.

You forgot the oxi clean free, regular non scrubbing sponges and lint free towels. Gal though I was house cleaning and the vodka was to make it more enjoyable.

Back