Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you the Black Sheep of your neighborhood?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #51
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
Other than that, I've had zero interest from anyone. I suppose I've always been a Black sheep in a way, but not because of my brewing. When my wife and I first moved into the neighborhood 15 years ago, we were really young compared to everyone else. Most of the people on the Block, we were closer to their kids' ages than to the parents. I'm always very helpful and friendly around the neighborhood, but I think there was just that disconnect because of age.
I think that's my problem too. When I moved in 5 years ago, I was one of the youngest homeowners in a subdivision of 35 or so houses. It's not like I was throwing keg parties on my front yard, but I think that age gap (and that fact the my wife and I don't have any kids yet) made people a little more distant.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #52
NateLTB
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky_pine View Post
A lot of my neighbors brew beer too. I live directly across the street from a grocery store that sells more beer than anywhere else in Oregon and I brew on my front porch so I'm constantly having people come by and check it out the whole time I'm brewing.
Belmont Station?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #53
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I am the King of all the other Black Sheep in my neighborhood. I'm 35, divorced and have no kids. On a typical brew day in the summer there's about 10 people hanging out in my garage. Loud music, lotsa beers, potato gun firing, friends relieving themselves on the side of my garage and motorcycles doing burnouts in the driveway. It's just like being in college again! I love it!

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #54
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I am the King of all the other Black Sheep in my neighborhood. I'm 35, divorced and have no kids. On a typical brew day in the summer there's about 10 people hanging out in my garage. Loud music, lotsa beers, potato gun firing, friends relieving themselves on the side of my garage and motorcycles doing burnouts in the driveway. It's just like being in college again! I love it!
Yeah baby!!!!! Now that is living!!!!! Let me know if a house goes up for sale in your hood...I am moving in

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

WhiteEagle1 Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #55
andvari7
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
I wonder how they would react if you brewed during the evening or weekends.
Although I have no way of proving it, I suspect that they'd leave me alone, like they usually do. I should have a better answer next time I brew, but that may be some time. I don't have enough bottles to do another brew, unless I go for a two-month triple-ferment, six-week bottle conditioning, so I can't see myself brewing against the wishes of my neighbors.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #56
porky_pine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLTB View Post
Belmont Station?
No, I think Belmont Station has one of the best selections but I live across the street from a New Seasons grocery store that sells the most volume of beer. It's pretty much all craft beer though and not too shabby.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #57
BrewGeek_Ohio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94
I've only ever had one neighbor come over while I was brewing. It was a nice day and I was doing it on the back patio as opposed to my normal garage brew. He and his wife were out gardening and when I added the first hops, he came over to take a look. "MMMM, love that smell, when we first got married my wife and I lived down the street from the Budweiser Brewery. I loved it when the added the hops."

Other than that, I've had zero interest from anyone. I suppose I've always been a Black sheep in a way, but not because of my brewing. When my wife and I first moved into the neighborhood 15 years ago, we were really young compared to everyone else. Most of the people on the Block, we were closer to their kids' ages than to the parents. I'm always very helpful and friendly around the neighborhood, but I think there was just that disconnect because of age.

As a reference, I've actually become a little more social with another of our neighbors because his grand kids are the same age as my kids. So, when they are in town, the kids play together a lot.
Wait, Bud uses hops? Lol least flavor in the world

Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #58
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGeek_Ohio

Wait, Bud uses hops? Lol least flavor in the world
Actually there was just recently a whole article about this, Budweiser used to use German hops of the highest quality before they were purchased by InBev. As much flack as they get they were actually brewing a very high quality product.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #59
CountryRootsBrew
Drunk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My neighbors sell drugs, so I'm the normal one on the block.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. — Mark Twain

bellmtbbq Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #60
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I bought a house in the country so I wouldn't have to worry about my neighbors or those ridiculous HOA's!

I brew on my covered back deck and there is nothing behind my house but a row of trees and then a corn field. None of my closer neighbors have any clue that I brew.

If I'm a black sheep on my road it would be due to the fact that I currently have 5 vehicles parked in the driveway (2 are for sale). But I do keep up with the house and yard at least as well as my closest neighbors.

Next up: American Brown Ale
Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Quick Reply