Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Word to the Wise...(with photo)...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
Recusit8m
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Word to the Wise...(with photo)...

Hey all, just wanted to share an experience and some worldly advice...When brewing beer, Sh#t gets hot...lol...Dont grab a brew keggle with bare hands...It ruins your brew day...lol...I was heated up my hot liquor in my new brew keggle and I was confused by the new bright shiny object and decided to pick up keggle off of the burner with bare hands...lol...Ummm BIG mistake...I think this beer (with all expenses of the ER and burn unit consult will be more that a case of Utopia and at least 3 Tactical Nuclear Penguins)......2nd degree to all fingers and 1st and 2nd to part of palm and thumb...Loss of overtime shift tommorow......But ill be back at the brewing in the AM...Gonna call it Scalded Dog IIPA...lol...Take care all...
[img]http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/****me.jpg[/img]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
AggieChemDoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Buddy of mine did that a few weeks ago. Burned him right through welding gloves. Nasty, nasty, burn.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Recusit8m
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry forgot about the profanity lol...

Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
lackey2000
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ouch! I've been there - but maybe not quite as bad.

btw: if a hose comes off your wort chiller and starts spewing hot water into your wort, don't grab it with your bare hand.

killed: IPA 'lite', Kölsh
current setup: under review

Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3184 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 2712

Ouch. Good luck with that.

Sooo, at the ER, did you tell them how you did it? I can just imagine the rolling eyes. I'd have come up with some story (hot pan while cooking, etc).

Old 05-14-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
DizzyPants
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife is from Sweden and she has these very nice thick knitted oven mitts that her great grandmother made. They are sweet and she lets me use them for brewing.

She said that her grandmother probably wouldn't mind b/c they make their own vodka in Sweden at home. Beer is nothing. I love my mitts.

Stay safe.

~Diz

Old 05-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #7
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

how hot did you have the keggle??? i used to work fast food and have had my whole hand in a deep fryer at one point and it was nowhere near as bad as that looks. get solarcaine for that does wonders trust me.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Recusit8m
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I just recieved the keggle and was boiling a few gallons to heat it up and check how well it held Temp and to scrub out the inside arounds the welds and the like. As far as the ER went, they were very inquisitive about the brewing process....It was like a teachable moment...lol...

Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have turned off the burner onder my HLT, and not 5 seconds later, tried picking it up. Not a good turn of events. I call them "Stupid Brewing Tricks".

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 05-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you are brewing on a turkey fryer, and the flame burns below any of the metal frame, the legs will be hot, even after only a few minutes. Do not grap a leg in order to shift it's position with bare hands. I had a minor burn, but a brew buddy of mine got his whole hand around the leg before he realized it and had a major burn that required medical attention.

A friend of mine got me a pair of these for Christmas, I keep them in my brew kit.

Orka 17" Silicone Oven Mitts. They are great for lifting hot kettles, moving stands, and putting on puppett shows for yourself during those long waits between hop additions.

I had them with me on big brew day, and a bunch of brewers borrowed them to move their kettles to the chilling station.

You can get them on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Orka-Silicone-Oven-17-Inch-Black/dp/B000RYSQB4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1274061738&sr=8-3

They're expensive (though I think he found them on woot or overstock.com cheaper.) But I think they are worth it at any price. You feel no heat through those puppies...or should I say whales?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply