New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > why beersmith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
bcryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default why beersmith?

i've done 5 all grain batches so far. all of them have been kits from austin homebrew. i follow the instructions and beer turned out good so far(not great). i read about alot of people on here using beersmith. is this something that will help someone like me, just following a kit recipe? or is it for the guy that creates his own recipe? i downloaded the free trail and i didn't really understand why i would need it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you're following someone else's recipe, and making extract batches (from kits) without making any changes (at all) then it might not be for you. Then again, pretty much any software would be unnecessary. But, once you start to wish to alter a recipe, or create your own, software becomes much more important.

Since I started making my own recipes at batch #3, it made a lot of sense to get good software to help to figure out what I would get. It was easy enough to pick up how to use BeerSmith, at least for me. I like being able to tweak a recipe on the fly, before brewing it, seeing how the changes I make impact the batch. Without software, it would be much more involved. I did try using the formula's to figure out the batches, but I never did like math. Plus, as your OG changes, in a recipe, your IBU's will also change. With software, I can change the hop about my tiny amounts and see what the impact is much faster than if I did it the old way.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 08-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IMHO, it's more for all grain brewers. You can use it for extract brews, but to take full advantage, you'd need to be doing ag. It's only 20 bucks so if you want tools like attenuation calcs and boil off amounts, metric conversions, other things, then you'll get use out of it.if money is tight and you're doing extract, you can skip it. If you have Android, go with Brewzor calcs and brewer and you'll have everything you need

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I use brewpal 99 cent app on my iPhone. It has some annoying issues but it works and the recipe is there with me at all times. I use my phone while brewing too. Plus I don't have to write anything down when I go to the store. Just pull up the app. Eventually you will need something unless you stick with kits forever. You don't really have to pay for it tho. There are some free ones even.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I love my brewsmith now. took some getting used to, being able to upsize, or down size a recipe is awesome. going from all grain to extract is easy. you can tweak recipes like said earlier.

I think its money well spent if you are even interested in going all grain.

-=Jason=-

Old 08-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
tknice
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd say it's invaluable for any brewer who wants to move on from kits to their own recipes--not just all grain. There is a whole world out there beyond kits, and beersmith helps you make sense of it all. I brewed on kits for a year before ag and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, but I got to a point where I wanted to experiment with different hops, yeast, and grains. Beersmith makes it easy to design them and know you're within the style guidelines for that type of beer.

You'll know exactly how much grain to mash or dme to add to hit the gravity your looking for, how many oz of hops for the desired ibus, and the types of grain to steep or mash to get the color you want. It all super easy after some practice.

My two best investments to date are a 15g boilermaker and beersmith, hands down.

-TK

How to Make Starters
How to Clean Kegs
How to Rack Beer to a Keg

Old 08-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love beersmith! I spend hours tweaking my recipe before heading to the LHBS to pick up whatever I may need.

You don't need it for kits but it won't be long before you want to invent recipes.

However I had beersmith long before I had an android phone, so I can't comment on the app options.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #8
Beezy
Recipes 

You can scale on brewpal too. Just adjust your batch size and it will do the math. I just did it as I just bought a bigger fermenter so wanted to go 5.5 instead of 5. I can use it with a desktop program too. Just export the beer xml.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 79

it's so cheap i could not see how i could go wrong. keeping all of the notes on a beer in one (legible) place is worth it for me. seeing a beersmith recipe develop exactly like the program predicted is nice too.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #10
Beezy
Recipes 

It is a fair price tbh and worth it. I plan on getting it at some point. I don't do much work at my desktop anymore though.

Quick Reply