Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where to buy graduated cylinder?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
Darklordenron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Where to buy graduated cylinder?

Where can I acquire one? Which size do I need for hydrometer readings? I've been using the plastic tube that came with my hydrometer, but it leaks bad and I can't get accurate readings does anyone have a link to a single one, as all I can find are sets for around 30 dollars which I don't need.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My LHBS has a glass cylinder they sell specifically for use with hydrometers (they also have some plastic ones, but I like glass as it seems easier to clean well. LINK
I suppose an actual graduated cylinder could do you double duty if you needed something you could also accurately measure small volumes of liquid in...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Darklordenron
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Any idea how large I would need? I seem to recall someone saying 250ml was perfect for hydro readings but am now unsure.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You don't need a graduated cylender, there is no need for graduations on it, nor does it need to be glass, you're looking for the wrong thing...you need what is called a "Hydrometer test jar" they're really just a simple tube...

They should be no more than 10 bucks. Or less at any LHBS. This place has them.

http://www.alcoholcontrols.com/hydtesjar.html

Mountain homebrew has them for 6 http://www.mountainhomebrew.com/brow...--Plastic.HTML

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-05-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Ebay has them for 3.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/Plastic-hydromet...-/330549300356

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
Darklordenron
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
You don't need a graduated cylender, there is no need for graduations on it, nor does it need to be glass, you're looking for the wrong thing...

Nope. I want to be able to use it for measuring liquid additions also. One less thing to take up space. The swmbo would like it that way...:/

Old 04-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
Darklordenron
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also, that plastic one says it isnt meant for high volumes of alcohol. What does that mean? Not for liquor or big beers over 11% ABV??

Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
steakandale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You just need anything the right shape (and plastic not glass). a single rose vase from the corner market. The hydrometer has the scale on it, not the cylinder.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
vespoli
Recipes 

Just get a cheap thin tube. Graduated cylinders are better than beakers or flask for measuring volumes, but if you want to get accurate volumes, you need to be using volumetric flasks/pipets.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklordenron View Post
Also, that plastic one says it isnt meant for high volumes of alcohol. What does that mean? Not for liquor or big beers over 11% ABV??
Well I don't know this is a 12.5% Barleywine sitting in my under 10 dollar hydrometer test jar....Methinks whoever wrote whatever you read doesn't know jack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakandale View Post
You just need anything the right shape (and plastic not glass). a single rose vase from the corner market. The hydrometer has the scale on it, not the cylinder.
Exactly....

And if you want graduations to measure whatever you think you need ot measure (I've never needed to measure anything with a graduated cyclinder in brewing in all the years I've been brewing) on them, a sharpy works well, you can measure and mark in permanent marker and STILL be cheaper than a glass one.

Just only do it one one side, NOT the side you want to try to read the tiny lines on the hydrometer with. You'll find trying to read the where the SG falls at the meniscus will be kind of difficult if there's etched lines going down the side. You think you can't get an accurate reading now.

I thought you complained about the cost you saw...we're telling you you don't NEED to spend money on glass labware...methinks we probably have been doing this far longer than you Darklordenron, so we know what works, what's necessary or not.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS