When do I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefrayser

Reaction score
My first batch was started on jan 1(English Brown Ale). I moved it to a secondary on 7 jan. When I moved it to the secondary I checked the gravity and it was at fg. I'm wondering when I should bottle? After bottling it should set at room temp for 3 weeks?

I tend to bottle after 14 days once FG has been achieved, and I usually try to let it sit in the bottles for about 2-4 weeks.

The important thing is that FG has been reached, you don't want bottle bombs!

You can bottle it anytime once you've hit FG.

Three weeks in the bottle is a good start, you may find that the taste continues to improve with a few extra weeks.

I'd do more than one FG test, just to make sure... before you bottle. I usually do 3 checks (1 a day- 3 days before bottling) just to make sure the ferment is done, but I usually wait 14 days in the primary, at least, on anything, before considering bottling. If you're getting the same FG for 3 days in a row, you're good.

Time is always on your side.

Like homebrewmike said, "you don't want any bottle bombs!"

If I check the fg and it's the same as it was when I moved to secondary 10 days ago it should be done...right? What would be advantage of leaving it longer, better flavor?

After it hits FG,I give it 3-7 more days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle.

Sounds like you're done, son! If you've had it in your secondary for 10 days with the same FG, I'd go ahead and bottle. I usually go two weeks before trying any, but it's up to you how long you let it bottle-condition. Best of luck!

What happens if it isn't all the way full? I filled 1/2 to 3/4 up neck. Guess I should have read first but I was jacked to bottle.

Back