What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the bottled version of a subliminal Mild from Machine House Brewery in Seattle. At the brewery, it is simply divine on cask with a beer engine and I assume proper temperature. The bottled is ok but just ok. I was a bit disappointed. But it is bottle conditioned, so I poured of the dregs and making a starter tonight.

Mid bottling (letting the Starsan drip-dry-ish) a Belgian Tripel. I'm very excited to see what the FG is going to be. I used 3 T-58s and did my version of temperature control.
I have to say, if I keep the Grolsch bottles clean following a use by rinsing thoroughly for a few seconds and then running through the dishwasher, it's kind of effortless to get them ready on bottling day. I think I have my process right where I want it.

I went all out and made labels...
beer lables.jpg

...and the cat (aka "sticker warmer") is an integral part in warming the labels so they adhere to the tops correctly.
sticker warmer.jpg

Posted elsewhere as well, but I BUILT A KEGERATOR TODAY AND I AM SO HAPPY muahahahaha. Old kegerator bit the dust earlier this week, with a full pipeline (of course) and the budget just didn't run to getting another one; so the ferment fridge (a good working refrigerator, Samsung french door RS2630WW) got repurposed as the kegerator. Only had to make one trip to HD for a hole saw, otherwise had all the parts I needed from the old one. Dead kegerator will now be the ferment fridge until late spring when we'll get a new one; for the next few months won't need chilling, just the heat lamp to keep temperature steady. If I need to lager something it can go in the kegerator. I mention the model number here so others upon searching will find this thread; I had no problems drilling a hole in the side for the co2 line, and into the door for the taps. I did drill pilot holes and searched around with a screwdriver to make sure I wasn't going to hit a cooling line, which are apparently all in the back anyway. My taps weren't long enough with the black collars on them so took them off, I think it's a cleaner look anyway. Also did the smart thing this time and screwed the manifold into the wall of the fridge so it won't move. Here's a couple pics (with the dirty floor of the fridge mostly out of the picture, kinda embarrassed about that but I had more important things to do). And yes I do need more stickers.
20191206_222031[1].jpg
20191206_222050[1].jpg

My co-worker that is also a homebrewer and hop grower just stopped by to get a packet of Notty from me for his new cider (I buy 5 packets at a time from Amazon so had one to spare), and got to taste the WF Lager I brewed with the hops I got from him this year. First time using fresh hops, and it turned out pretty good in my opinion. No grassiness, just a nice subtle bittering and flavor. Also got to show off the kegerator I built yesterday (YES I'm going to be gloating over that for a while) and my equipment, currently idle. Damn I need to join a club like yesterday.

upload_2019-12-7_12-31-28.jpeg
Using the new brew setup since I moved it all to the garage. It’s much cleaner, smoother, less intrusive to SWMBO and others in the house.

Running water through the washing machine hose into filter unit, so no more dominating the kitchen faucet.

And it should be a lot easier to keep everything in the 60’s for fermentation

Also, since I had time to clean while making stout today, I realized why people have the taps on the outside of the keezer. It’s not just a convenience thing, there was about 1 cup of beer slushy stuck to the bottom from my Thanksgiving guests.

Looks like I’m writing a letter to Santa...

Started printing labels for the 12 BOC bottles and promptly ran out of ink. Since the closest source is a 140 mile round trip (I’m at the farm) it’s Amazon to the rescue. I’ll finish printing and be ready to ship later in the week.

Also moved a Porter from the ferm fridge to the keg fridge for cold crashing.

Working on a recipe for a Porter this morning, that will be brewed at a friend's 2nd Annual Group Brewday and BBQ in two weeks. Last year's session was a huge success, with three brewing partial mash and me schlepping my all-grain setup to show them how easy it is. On the way home from last year's session the husband started talking about doing his own batch; he still hasn't, so yesterday I put the bug in his ear to get working on a recipe. Since we have a two-burner camp stove for brewing, and an extra kettle, won't be difficult to do two at once. Although knowing my husband, I'll wind up doing most of the work, but I don't mind; we'll still call it "his" beer. And with limited space in the ferment fridge I'm going to convince him he should do a 2.5g batch, that will fit in our 3g carboy.

I have a woodworking apprentice, and we had made arrangements to make some beer crates today, basically to show him how to do dovetail joints. But, I do most of that work outside, so I don't have so much sawdust in the shop. Weather is pretty crappy today, so I'm thinking about brewing up a batch of saison instead. He is also very interested in the brewing process, so he will learn something today, either way.

I have a woodworking apprentice, and we had made arrangements to make some beer crates today, basically to show him how to do dovetail joints. But, I do most of that work outside, so I don't have so much sawdust in the shop. Weather is .

My apprentice never showed, probably due to the crappy weather, so I bottled a batch of tripel instead. Started with corks (not fun), so I switched to plastic champagne stoppers. They were already backing out of the bottles before I could get the wires on (carbed to 3.3 volumes). A dead blow mallet quickly took care of that problem!

I am! Gotta terraform the soil for them, but then climate is perfect! Comet plant shown there
Your profile says you're from Central FL/Orlando area. Is that where these are grown? Didn't know that you could grow hops down there, but they look great!

Posted above, bottled a batch of tripel today. Just getting around to updating my brew notebook. I used a blend of WLP530 and a packet of Danstar Abbaye in a 2liter starter. OG was 1.080, FG was 1.004, ABV of 9.98%. That makes the attenuation 95%! I occasionally impress myself, but I imagine this one will be a little on the dry side!

Cleaned a beer line after kicking my keg of Fresh Squished IPA. Started carbonating my keg of Brickwarmer Holiday Ale to be ready to drink by Xmas. I didn't gift-wrap it yet.

Bought ingredients to introduce a friend to the joys of brewing on Monday afternoon.

Kegged the winter warmer spiced ale.

Replacing o-rings on some of the kegs also.

If time allows tonight, I will also keg the stout.

Edit: yup, got it kegged.

Last edited:
IMG_20191212_112502678_HDR.jpg

I've been ordering lots of stuff lately. While moving cases of bottles to a warmer area for bottle conditioning, found this on the floor wrapped in plastic. Apparently, somebody included this as a "complimentary gift", but I never saw it when unpacking stuff, and have no idea who sent it!

View attachment 656614

I've been ordering lots of stuff lately. While moving cases of bottles to a warmer area for bottle conditioning, found this on the floor wrapped in plastic. Apparently, somebody included this as a "complimentary gift", but I never saw it when unpacking stuff, and have no idea who sent it!
Looks useful. And like a bird.

Just washed out the MonsterMash©, and cleaning brew kettle, HLT, and various buckets and pots. Considering brewing up a wee heavy. (AKA, Scotch barleywine)!

1576270239202462546486195778105.jpg

Just put a new thermometer in the mash tun, so it deserves a leak check.

Last edited:
Listened to a podcast with Anchor Brewing head brewer Scott Ungerman. Really fascinating if you like Anchor Steam. Dropped a few insights on Steam. As well as some on the Porter (only use US grown Northern Brewer hops and an English Ale yeast).

Anchor Porter was the first porter I ever tried circa 1980. I think both it and Steam stand the test of time. I like session beers so tonight is my first attempt to do a 2.5 gallon batch of something akin to an Anchor Porter session:
2.5 gallons
Mash at 154F for 1 hour
Steeping grains last 30 minutes of mash
3# 2 row viking malt
.25# black patent
.25# bairds chocolate
.5# bairds crystal 50
.5 oz US n brewer for 30 minutes
.5 oz US n brewer 10 minutes and let cool overnight
BU/GU = 1
Burton Ale Yeast WLP023

And I'm sampling this year's 45th Anchor Christmas ale. It's good.

Back