Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What Do you look for?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
kborndale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What Do you look for?

What does everyone look for in a LHBS? A friend and I are looking to start one and I was wondering what people found most important. Price, service, location knowledge etc, etc. I have only a few in my area but none of them are really all that great and information I get from them seems to not always be that useful. Also do you think a good website to go with it is neccasary or can one get by without internet sales or be just an internet site?

btw noticed this probly should have been in general beer discussion if a mod can move it would be appreciated

Reason: wrong place

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As a beginner I view my LHBS as invaluable source of knowledge. As there are two that I go to I think selection is very important. One of my stores has easily twice as many specialty grains as the other, which is why I shop there more often.

I would think the internet can only help you, all of the brew stores I have been to also have online sales, though they don't seem to offer everything like AHS or Northern Brewer do.

Good luck in your endeavor!

Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
erock2112
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like the convenience of being able to pick up ingredients without waiting for shipping. My LHBS is also the base for the local homebrew club. I tend to use my LHBS website to verify that they have certain less-common ingredients before I make the trip, just in case I need to order something or go elsewhere. I'd say you need a website at the very least, perhaps not an online store, but that's nice as well.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Number one is to be friendly. Greet everyone that comes in the store with "hello". Secondly...have variety. Substituting on occasion is OK...but every time sucks.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Friendly service for sure. I have shopped a handful of LHBS in the past few years moving around the country. I have encountered about a 50/50 mix of owners; half being totally friendly and having the attitude that brewing is awesome and should be fun no matter what level you are at, and the other half being snobbish and condescending pretty much no matter what you say.

When I get friendly service, I shop at the store. When I dont, I order online. Here in OKC I shop at the LHBS. Great service and friendly vibe. Not the best selection, but I buy what i can there and only order what they dont stock online. When I lived in Fayetteville AR, I only shopped online. Every time I went into the local store the owner treated me like I was a nuisance, just another customer bugging him.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
Friendly service for sure. I have shopped a handful of LHBS in the past few years moving around the country. I have encountered about a 50/50 mix of owners; half being totally friendly and having the attitude that brewing is awesome and should be fun no matter what level you are at, and the other half being snobbish and condescending pretty much no matter what you say.

When I get friendly service, I shop at the store. When I dont, I order online. Here in OKC I shop at the LHBS. Great service and friendly vibe. Not the best selection, but I buy what i can there and only order what they dont stock online. When I lived in Fayetteville AR, I only shopped online. Every time I went into the local store the owner treated me like I was a nuisance, just another customer bugging him.
The Brew Shop on Penn?
Been there once and need to get back Saturday before I bottle. The guy there seemed nice enough.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
The Brew Shop on Penn?
Been there once and need to get back Saturday before I bottle. The guy there seemed nice enough.
Thats the one. The owner Chuck is a super cool guy. He treats you like you've been friends for years from day one.

Even on a busy Saturday when the store was full of customers he took the time to chat about my upcoming brew day. I buy all of my ingredients there and some of my equipment. They dont stock a lot of the bigger all-grain equipment, but it's nice having a friendly place to stop by once a week or so to get ingredients!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I would list friendly service first, and experience and knowledge a close second. I mean, I'd rather you be nice and tell me that you don't know, than to actually know and be rude about it. And as a substitute to knowledge, you could point them here.

Of course a decent selection is a must, as is fresh ingredients.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 03-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A proper understanding of basic and advanced brewing techniques among all employees. This may be asking a lot, but it is frustrating to ask for munich and be handed cara-munich, with any protest being met with an eye-roll.

To be honest, I think that the homebrew supply really lends itself better to an internet-centric business. I have always preferred the selection, products, and personal service of the websites that I order from over the shops I've been to. I say have a good website that accurately showcases all of your inventory, and aggressively advertise on the web and and the magazines. It should be pretty easy to target your advertising to the homebrewer!

I'm pretty loyal to brewmaster's warehouse. If you want to know what I look for in a homebrew supply, just look at them.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

There is only one in Las Vegas, and it is too far out of the way for me to go to, so I just order everything online. I'm pretty good at planning and having extra supplies on hand, so I rarely need something right away.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS