What Beer to Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
I am a poor college kid. Because of this I usually buy beer on a budget. I am still new to Homebrewing (1.5 years) and have had some good beer, but there is still a ton of beer and many styles I have not tried. With that said I just got christmas money and have about $30-$40 to spend and need suggestions on what to get. I really want to get at least 1 Quad, 1 RIS, 1 IIPA. I'd rather not spend $10 a bottle because that means I get less, but if there's 1 thats worth it let me know. Thanks.

Well for the IPA I would get a Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye or a Racer 5.

I don't know what sorts of bars you have over there, but it might be worth it to find one with a good bit on tap and sample away. Perhaps you and some friends could go on a few brewery tours. Granted bells is across the state, but their expedition stout is great

Edit: Oh boo, they dont offer tours, thats bogus...

+1 on the hop rod. great beer and not super expensive. the red hook barleywine is pretty good and cheap. anything from Lagunitas is good quality and not sover the top on price. on the IPA, i would splurte on a Nectar IPA. it is insanely good.

Yah I love Bell's too I drink a lot of it. I wish they had tours I would've been there by now. Haven't had the expedition stout though. Is the Red Hook Barleywine available in Michigan? Never seen it but would like to pick it up.

BTW has anyone had this He'brew beer? Just saw it in the store and wasn't sure about it. I think it was $5.39 22oz. They have a Rye IPA 10%abv and a half dobblebock half belgian dubbel that looked pretty good.

You should also still be able to get Sierra Nevada's Seasonal offering Celebration Ale. You can find it on sale at many places as it is late in the season. It is basically an IPA with a nice semi-complex full malt base. Also Sierra's Nevada's Torpedo is a good standard example of an IPA. The Laganitas someone else mentioned is a good choice also. If it is available the Bell's Two Hearted and Dogfish Head 60 minute are good choices as well.

I've had celebration Ale, and liked it a lot. I also just picked up a Lagunitas We're in it for the Money. Belgian style triple. $3.99 is totally reasonable. What kind of Belgian Quad can I pick up thats a good value. That is my holy grail right now.

Do you have any local breweries or brewpubs?

I'd buy the beer from these places first, the beer will probably be a bit cheaper because it isn't shipped as far, and also it reduces the risk of getting a bad bottle that hasn't travelled well.

Bell's and Founder's are on the other side of the state. I frequent Mount Pleasant Brewing Company often when I'm at Central Michigan U. Atwater Block is Downtown.

Why not brew your own and trade for what you want with friends? A few good trades and you can try all that you want. (less of course that is illegal, though I thought only trading home brew for cash was illegal.) Host a party under the condition that the next weekend they are to supply the beer of your choice.

What other advise would anyone from a hb website give?

Yah I was planning on getting the Chimay Blue. I've had the Tripel, but I really want to get the Grand Reserve. Is that categorized as a Quad, Beer advocate says its a Belgian Strong Ale.

Yah I was planning on getting the Chimay Blue. I've had the Tripel, but I really want to get the Grand Reserve. Is that categorized as a Quad, Beer advocate says its a Belgian Strong Ale.

The problem with the designation quad vs. strong is that these beers are really not meant to be so strictly classified. Sure, there's definitions for both in the BJCP, but Chimay likely doesn't care about a style guideline. It is just a big, dark Belgian beer.

just get 1 $10 bottle.

rochefort 10...

then you'll be far more willing to buy more $10 bottles. (it's amazing)

go for variety/sampler packs. Always a great way to get several options/styles.

Three Philosophers is a great beer worth $10.

He'brew (I can't remember which one is the popular one - think it's a brown ale) is very good, but don't pay $6 for one bottle.

Thanks for the input on He'Brew. I was interested in the Rye double IPA, because I've never seen the style before. As of now I'd like to pick up either a Rochefort 10 or Chimay Blue (maybe both), as well as a Old Rasputin RIS, Red Hook Barleywine, (Stone Old Guardian is my backup), and a Hop Rod/Racer 5. Any other suggestions?

+1 on the He'Brew Rye. it's awesome. big malt & hop bomb w/ nice spice from the rye and at 10% it's a dangerous one:cross: i highly recommend it.

Not sure if Green Flash ships to MI or not. They are based in San Diego. Typically when I want to try a new style these guys solidly represent and come in a few bucks cheaper per bomber. There may be better from each category but GF is always exactly to style.

There have been other great suggestions too, just trying to balance the cost and quality.

why not try to score some free beer? Yes I said free beer! Join a home brew club. most clubs have meetings and at most club meeting we sample each others beer. You bring a bottle or 3 but get to taste like 15 different beers. Not sure what clubs are in your area but it's worth checking into. No clubs? Then start one and invite people to bring you their beer. for real.

Next idea is tastings. High end beer shops usually hold free tastings. There are 2-3 tastings a week in my town. They are always free and your not required to purchase anything. And the beer is almost always fantastic stuff.

Good Luck!

Next idea is tastings. High end beer shops usually hold free tastings. There are 2-3 tastings a week in my town. They are always free and your not required to purchase anything. And the beer is almost always fantastic stuff.

Please stop posting so much. You're making me want to pack up and move back to Asheville. ;)

Do they distribute Dark Lord to Michigan, or do you gotta go to the brewery? Also what's more worth the money: Chimay Grande Reserve or Rochefort 10?

BTW has anyone had this He'brew beer? Just saw it in the store and wasn't sure about it. I think it was $5.39 22oz. They have a Rye IPA 10%abv and a half dobblebock half belgian dubbel that looked pretty good.

I've had Lenny's RIPA, another Rye IPA, and thought it was quite good. Its pretty heavy duty IMO.

Do they distribute Dark Lord to Michigan, or do you gotta go to the brewery? Also what's more worth the money: Chimay Grande Reserve or Rochefort 10?

Dark Lord has to be bought at the brewery, although if you buy something else rare and sought after you can trade for it on the intrawebz. I know a guy who has several times gotten a Dark Lord straight up for a limited release Boulevard Smokestack, which is pretty darn easy to get here in KC. So you can learn to game the trading system and get stuff that is hard for you to get in exchange for stuff that is easy for you to get.

IMO, Rochefort 10 is the better value. I would rather have a small bottle of it than a 750 of Chimay. However both are very good and the Rochefort 10 might seem over the top to someone who hasn't had a lot of belgian beers. I remember loving the Chimay years ago, and I still have it sometimes and really enjoy it, but the Rochefort always sounds better to me.

As a fellow student, I know where you are coming from. As much as I hate ****ty beer, the price tags speak louder than my words.

Search out a decent, cheap, local brew. My cheap beer of choice is Lion's Head, by far the best beer you can get for the price ($15/24 bottles). Unfortunately it is hard to find outside of PA and a few select dist. in NJ and DE.

Please stop posting so much. You're making me want to pack up and move back to Asheville. ;)

You mean they don't do that where you live?

When I was in NYC our homebrew club had guest speakers at our monthly meeting. The guests were either pro brewers or beer distributes. They ALWAYS brought beer to share. Occasionally they brought way too much beer to share. Like a keg of barley wine or something silly like that. Good times.

The Asheville club does not have guest speakers but they more then make up for it in the quality and quantity of the homebrew at the meetings. Mostly top notch stuff.

You should come visit for the brew grass fest. But buy your tickets way in advance. They sell out fast.

Chimay is excellent stuff and well worth the coin. Rochefort is super duper expensive. Great but just way overpriced. At least in my local stores. It's like 6.00 for a 12 oz bottle Ouch!

That Hebrew Lenny's RIPA is really good. As far as budget beers that are actually good, try the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale 2009. Not a quad or anything but very tasty and complex for the price.

Back