Water in cooling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesclaypool

Reaction score
Had a bit of a mishap while cooling down the wort the other day. The lid of the pot must have been slightly open because it allowed about a gallon of water into the wort while it was still pretty warm. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if it caused any noticeable defects with the resulting beer. I went ahead with it because I figure I was going to add a few gallons anyway once it was in the fermentor (I only boiled 3 gallons so I needed to add 2), but not until the wort was significantly cooler.

Thanks for any advice on the matter.

If the water was safe for brewing, all you did was cool your wort faster. If it was dirty sink water, then you'll just have to wait and see if it ends up infected.

Yeah, the water should be alright. I also may have jumped the gun on adding the yeast because the water on top was so cool but the wort stayed separated at the bottom and potentially could have been pretty warm still. Oh well, I suppose these things happen.

Thanks for the help.

Convection will mix them. You might have differences in density if you don't stir really well (which you should be doing) but the yeast will find it all and temperature will even out right away.

just one of those wait and see instances, water should be fine, but you should be able to tell in a few weeks what effect, if any, it has had.

Back