Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vegan beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
trigger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Vegan beer?

So, last night I had some beer at a party and there were a couple of part-time vegans there. I warned them that I had fined the beers with gelatin, and they were ok with that. I got to thinking about something I heard at the LHBS about vegans not drinking unfiltered beer because the yeast isn't part of a vegan diet. Has anyone else heard of this? I asked one of them and he said no way, yeast is a fungus and vegans eat mushrooms. So what's the deal?

This came about because apparently HUB filters their beer in order to maintain vegan status. Pro/con vegan views aside, why wouldn't beer be vegan, even if it did have yeast?

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

The only reason I can think of that beer wouldn't be vegan is the finings. Gelatin is a huge no-no, and since I have vegetarian friends (not vegans, though), I never use gelatin or isinglass or anything like that.

If your friends were ok with gelatin, they certainly weren't vegetarians or vegans!

Since my beer is malted barley, hops, water, and yeast, it's fine for vegans.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They're most of the time vegans apparently, for health reasons, not ethics. Every once in a while they'll have some meat and dairy. It was a BBQ and they were having the grilled chicken, so no, they aren't *real* vegans.

That aside, I would still like to know why HUB needs to filter their beer tomake it vegan. If the yeast really is at issue, isn't it a form of exploitation by using them to ferment the beer? I'm honestly curious.

Also, from a phylogenetic perspective fungi are more closely related to animals than humans, but they aren't animals. So why would fungi be non-vegan?

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
They're most of the time vegans apparently, for health reasons, not ethics. Every once in a while they'll have some meat and dairy. It was a BBQ and they were having the grilled chicken, so no, they aren't *real* vegans.

That aside, I would still like to know why HUB needs to filter their beer tomake it vegan. If the yeast really is at issue, isn't it a form of exploitation by using them to ferment the beer? I'm honestly curious.

Also, from a phylogenetic perspective fungi are more closely related to animals than humans, but they aren't animals. So why would fungi be non-vegan?
I think that the store is nuts. Filtering it won't make it "more" vegan, unless they have some vegans who won't eat yeast products. I think it's a matter of degrees. Some vegetarians eat dairy and eggs. Some do not. Some vegans probably eat fungi. Most will not eat ANY animal derived products, though, and fungi may fall into that category in a strict sense.

I'm not a vegan, so I don't know what they would allow. My understanding is that they would eat only non-animal (plant) products, though.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Fungi are no more animals than plants are. The three belong to separate taxonomic kingdoms. I can certainly imagine your friends having a particular reason to not like yeast (allergies, taste, etc.), but it shouldn't be because they are vegans.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

A quick google reveals that yeast is vegan. Google also defined vegan as no animals or animal products (gelatin, eggs, fish, milk). Not sure what filtering would do, maybe something with kosher (idk) but since yeast is vegan doesn't make sense.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
A quick google reveals that yeast is vegan. Google also defined vegan as no animals or animal products (gelatin, eggs, fish, milk). Not sure what filtering would do, maybe something with kosher (idk) but since yeast is vegan doesn't make sense.
Milk is a byproduct of cows, and beer is a byproduct of yeast. Filtering beer does not make it right...we're still exploiting them. More people should understand the plight of yeast and stand up for their rights. Beets too. When I cut them open it looks like blood.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 AM   #8
rrmiller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
Milk is a byproduct of cows, and beer is a byproduct of yeast. Filtering beer does not make it right...we're still exploiting them. More people should understand the plight of yeast and stand up for their rights. Beets too. When I cut them open it looks like blood.

Save the yeast! Stop their suffering! Every year TRILLIONS or even BAZILLIONS die..........BEER IS MURDER!!

I think I'll have another....

Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I once BBQd a vegan. Nice and tender.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 AM   #10
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

beat me to the punch! I second that -if yeast weren't "allowed" then the product MADE with the yeast wouldn't be 'allowed'. -if it were allowed only because it was filtered, then the isinglass shouldn't make a difference since IT falls out of suspension in the final phase of the process as well.
I'm an omnivore -I'm "allowed" to eat anything that can't escape, and I can have whatever drink I can get my hands on -if I really want to, that is. Personally I always just ask for a beer. It goes with everything (grin).

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Quick Reply