The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vanilla extract addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
Jewrican
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfick0 View Post
I make a vanilla coffee stout in which I use 4 oz. in the secondary. It is very subtle in the finished product, but the coffee flavor and dark malts keep it in the background. I'd start with 2 oz. with a lighter beer or it may over-power. You can always add a small amount to your glass when you drink it if you want it to be more noticeable.
Can you PM me that recipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
rtfick0
Recipes 

I used beans once at the end of the boil and they didn't dissolve. I think you need alcohol to dissolve them. I could be wrong, but I had a lot of beans in my strained hops and BK.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
zaprozdower
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfick0 View Post
I used beans once at the end of the boil and they didn't dissolve. I think you need alcohol to dissolve them. I could be wrong, but I had a lot of beans in my strained hops and BK.
So they general idea with the use of vanilla beans is to totally dissolve them? Is that possible? Seems like cellulose isn't something that likes to just fizzle away in a boil. I might be wrong, but I dont know if I can just find vanilla beans around anyway.

Planned - Black & White IS, Braggot
Primary- Backyard Berry Wheat
Drinking - Vanilla Blonde, Wee Heavy, But Brown
Conditioning/Drinking -

Old 02-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not exactly sure with beer but I image it would be the same as with cooking. You will need to strain the beans out from the secondary. You don't want to use extract or VB's at a full boil as most of the favor will boil off. Only add to the cooled wort. The extract I would add to the primary but with full beans you would add to the secondary. The alcohol will leach out the flavor out of the beans.

Vanilla beans can be found at most specialty food markets. I know that Costco and Sams Club carry them.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #15
zaprozdower
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernip View Post
Not exactly sure with beer but I image it would be the same as with cooking. You will need to strain the beans out from the secondary. You don't want to use extract or VB's at a full boil as most of the favor will boil off. Only add to the cooled wort. The extract I would add to the primary but with full beans you would add to the secondary. The alcohol will leach out the flavor out of the beans.

Vanilla beans can be found at most specialty food markets. I know that Costco and Sams Club carry them.
Hopefully Harris Teeter?

Anyways, does anyone know for sure that using vanilla beans tends to net a more quality vanilla beer than just throwing a couple of oz of extract in the primary? If not, probably not going to try to find them.

Conditioning/Drinking -

Old 02-12-2009, 01:46 AM   #16
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If using extract add it to the bottling bucket and syphon beer over it. If using real vanilla beans, cut, scrape, and add to the secondary, also syphoning over.

When my brother-in-law did his vanilla porter her added real vanilla beans to the secondary, and left it there for two weeks. Then when he bottled he added 1/8 teaspoon to each bottle. Turned out super tasty, the racking with fresh had a great aroma, and the extract at bottling gave it a great mouth feel.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #17
zaprozdower
Recipes 

Holy crap, 2 vanilla beans at Harris Teeter costs 10 bucks! I hope two beans are enough to flavor 5 gallons of beer lol. I think maybe extract might be the way to go...

Conditioning/Drinking -

Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #18
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaprozdower View Post
Holy crap, 2 vanilla beans at Harris Teeter costs 10 bucks! I hope two beans are enough to flavor 5 gallons of beer lol. I think maybe extract might be the way to go...
That is half the price of vanilla beans here. I bought 2 ounces of vanilla extract for $4 instead.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
zaprozdower
Recipes 

So I found some pure bourbon vanilla extract instead which I'm pretty happy with. Maybe vanilla beans for the next vanilla beer.

Would it work to make a vanilla amber ale? I dont see any recipes for something like that.

Conditioning/Drinking -

Old 02-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
zaprozdower
Recipes 

Apparently that isnt a valid question (or just uninteresting).

What hops might best compliment a vanilla flavored ale? I was thinking Williamette and maybe something else...

Conditioning/Drinking -

Quick Reply