Um . . . . fellas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElyIrishBrew

Reaction score
I realized last night that the can of LME for my Muntons pilsner style ale was 4 lbs, not 3 lbs. I added 3 lbs of spraymalt extra light DME to bring it up to what I thought was 6 lbs of fermentables, but was in fact was 7.

And because I was a bit worried about the head room in my 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket, I mixed it in a 5.5 gallon batch instead of 6.

Didn't figure that would hurt anything, but now that I've got an extra pound in there, what should I expect?

Brewed on Oct. 21 and started fermenting overnight. Continuing to ferment now on the morning of the 25th.

If the yeast you used has a high attenuation then you'll end up with a beer that has more alcohol :drunk: ; otherwise it will have a high FG and come out a little sweeter than you expected.

It will just end up being a bigger beer (Higher OG). Enjoy it since it will still be beer. It will just have more alcohol than you expected.

BTW, welcome to the forums and please enjoy brewing. You'll learn a lot over the next few years. It's an awesome and relaxing ride.

Back