Thanksgiving Home Brew Adventures!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
So what home brew tasks do you have planned for turkey day? I'm trying to propagate yeast form a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Hefeweisen.. I don't know if the yeast in the bottles is primary fermentation yeast or bottling yeast, but it's still fun. I'll make a mini 1 gallon batch of hefe with it to see what it does...

Have to secondary a few things, drop the yeast from the conical, drop some more spices in my Christmas Ale, and rack some off the lees. I also plan on drinking a few while watching football!

I was hoping to brew up a Dunkelweisen that I ordered, but the shipping is running late. So, I guess besides playing with yeast I'll just be harvesting bottles! :tank:

I'm still getting into things, so I'll be making my first starter for my first black lager, I'll be setting up my first blow off tube, I'll be using the turkey fryer for the first time for some wort boiling, and I'll be making my first American Wheat. Oh oh oh and I'll be using my wort chiller for the first time too! I was also hoping to use star san for the first time as well, but my lhbs didn't have any. Not actually using the turkey fryer for a turkey though... hmm... :-/

OH oh oh and OH.. I'll be putting my first bottle of my first brew into the fridge tomorrow. Lots of firsts... should be a very exciting weekend for me. Get to see just how far I can push the SWMBO. :p

I thought about buying a turkey fryer just for brewing earlier today! I might also make a wort chiller this weekend.

I also have my first lager, and first belgian wit in fermenters right now.

Gonna soak some oak spirals in homebrewed 2005 Flathead Cherry Wine that I'm gonna add to a Belgian Quad I brewed last night. I have one last bottle of Ommegang Pumkin Abbey I brewed for Halloween .. may have to remove it from the endangered species list and move it to extinct (-:

I've got one fermenter just about soaked clean & settled. I'm getting low on PBW,so I thought I'd dump the PBW solution from the 1st FV into the second to soak it clean. Wanna get the bills paid the 1st of the month so I can get another batch going. But it's great to sit here on the comp,brew stand to the right,& to big stacks of our bottled/boxed ales to the right of that. So we got Jesus' birthday covered! Have a good four days of feasting everyone!

Elderberry Winter Warmer is gonna be brewed tonight with some tastey new zealand hops. An entire half pound of elderberries is going to be used...5 gallon batch :)

I'm hoping for rasin/plum/crasin/roasted chocolate,rauchy goodness. It will be ready for new years but probably not x-mas...Gravity is going to be low...5.2ABV

Smoked malt and elderberry ought to be a dynamite combo...along with 2.5LBs of chocolate malt. I don't understand how some of you folks are so conservative with specialty malts...

Stuck working from home, but still brewing.

US 2-Row Malt 8.50 lb
US Munich 10L Malt 0.75 lb
US Caramel 60L Malt 0.25 lb
US Roasted Barley 0.13 lb

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Glacier 5.0 % 19 g 11.5 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
US Glacier 5.0 % 13 g 5.9 Loose Whole Hops 30 Min From End
US Glacier 5.0 % 6 g 0.8 Loose Whole Hops 5 Min From End

Yeast
Wyeast 3463-Forbidden Fruit

Got a starter to keep going for a brew day on Saturday.
Oh, and eating alot gives me the strength to brew! :D

I'll be sharing my Scottish Ale with my family today, and SWMBO's tomorrow. Brewing Sunday I hope, since the weekend will put a serious dent in my supply (all in a good cause though, so no worries!).

Cheers and best wishes to all my HBT friends!

Later ill be bottling my wheat wine and rinsing/harvesting the American ale yeast used in the batch. Havnt taken any samples so I'm really lookin forward to having a taste.

My SN Hef yeast is still trucking along nicely on the stir plate. Been sipping on a couple Black Dog Amber Ales I have bottled, a Sam Adams black & brew, and a couple shots of Jack Daniels to chase it all down! I think it's just about pecan pie time!
Salud!

Back