Temperature fluctuation for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My fermentation chamber will hold 1 degree+/-, but only 2 buckets. I have a porter I was to secondary fit a couple weeks but need to get another batch brewed into primary. Can secondary handle a broader temperature fluctuation without any negative effects? My basement is about 57-67 over the course of the day? Would out be ok to leave the carboy out in that 10 degree flux?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

I would think you will be fine. Temperature isn't as important once primary fermentation is done. I routinely pull my fermenters out of my chamber after the first week and place them in my 'man room' in the basement. No worries.

I would think you will be fine. Temperature isn't as important once primary fermentation is done. I routinely pull my fermenters out of my chamber after the first week and place them in my 'man room' in the basement. No worries.

+1, I also move my fermenters to a warmer spot after a week, most ale yeast beers do well in 70 deg during secondary.

Cheers :mug:

Man room... how do I get me one of those!?!?!?!?

It is easy when you have a wonderful better half and a extra room, she helped me do this.

The room is temp controlled to 70 deg for conditioning, I can control the room temp anywhere from 65 to 85 deg + or - 1 deg all year round, and I still use the swamp coolers to get my ale's to 65 deg during primary fermentation, The Brew Room has really made it a lot easy'r for me during fermentation/conditioning.

And Yes like Hammy71 said, she has her own room too ! lol

Cheers :mug:

IMG_2052.jpg

Back