*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Teavana in your beers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
khugs21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Teavana in your beers?

Well I bought my mom a teavana kit for her birthday and I am blown away by the aroma and taste of some of these teas. My brewing mind instantly thought how can this be incorporated into some brews. Anybody do it? Im thinking a wit or some other belgian brew. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
andvari7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts

I think I have single-handedly kept Teavana in business over the past two years, and I've tried using it in my beer. My first brew was a Brooklyn Brew Shop Tea & Toast, and I used some of my high-end tea. It did not end well, though I suspect that most of that is due to the fact that I had never brewed before.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
72Chevelle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Someone with more knowledge would know what that would do to the beer but I have read in the mead and wine forums about people using black tea instead of Tannin, I know one of the biggest things people are trying to avoid in mashing

Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
Cincy17
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I made a dunkelweizen with 2oz of one of their chai teas. I can't remember which I used but I think it turned out fairly well. Next time I will cut down on the tea though because the spice completely overwhelmed the weizen character but I didn't get any tannin from it even though it was black tea. It scored a 29 in the first competition I entered and their only criticism was the overpowering spice.

Edit: I made the two ounces in a French press according to the temp and time recommended by teavana and poured it in the boil at flameout.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have definitely considered doing a metheglin with something from Teavana...I don't routinely add tannins to my mead except in certain circumstances, but it can be a valuable addition at times. I would think that many of the Teavana teas would have less tannins than your run-of-the-mill black tea (many of the Teavana teas I've tried use white or green tea as the base...)

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Quick Reply