As a Systems Admin: This is my kind of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both:D 6 years in the field and I love most of it. Though now that I work for local government I like it less. One day soon I hope to be brewing beer for a living.

Nice, I'll have to try and get my hands on that beer!

I've been in IT since 2001 and still love it, then again I make my own beer at home too so I must be crazy! :mug:

If you're in IT and you don't enjoy working with technology I would imagine there's a problem there. I've been working in IT for years and love the technical stuff as I wouldn't get to play with a lot of these technologies without doing this for a living. Granted I'm not a fan of the office politics and all the extra bull**** involved with corporate America, but then again politics and bull**** seem to be found in ever profession so I'm not sure leaving IT would solve that dilema.

Anyway, I don't see any distrubutors listed on that page and I am interested in atleast trying this stuff. Anyone know where to get it without driving to Portland?

If you're in IT and you don't enjoy working with technology I would imagine there's a problem there. I've been working in IT for years and love the technical stuff as I wouldn't get to play with a lot of these technologies without doing this for a living. Granted I'm not a fan of the office politics and all the extra bull**** involved with corporate America, but then again politics and bull**** seem to be found in ever profession so I'm not sure leaving IT would solve that dilema.

There's not much politics and bull**** in residential carpentry :) Thats why I quit the corporate world. I was in IT (mostly working with SAP) and when I got to just work, I liked it. But all the other crap drove me crazy and I wasn't willing to do it for another 20 years.

Of course my timing was not too good, considering the housing bust, but I'm still working, albeit at half of what I was making. But life is good !

There's not much politics and bull**** in residential carpentry :) Thats why I quit the corporate world. I was in IT (mostly working with SAP) and when I got to just work, I liked it. But all the other crap drove me crazy and I wasn't willing to do it for another 20 years.

Of course my timing was not too good, considering the housing bust, but I'm still working, albeit at half of what I was making. But life is good !

Not sure if I would agree about there being no bull**** in construction. I worked construction through college and there was still plenty of it, just a different kind. Eg: who always gets the crap work(moving lumber, hauling cement mix bags for jobs that didn't call for a cement truck, etc...), this wasn't usually me so I'm not bitching, I just felt sorry for the poor saps who weren't on good terms with the boss man, but the politics still existed even outside of the office world.

Not sure if I would agree about there being no bull**** in construction. I worked construction through college and there was still plenty of it, just a different kind. Eg: who always gets the crap work(moving lumber, hauling cement mix bags for jobs that didn't call for a cement truck, etc...), this wasn't usually me so I'm not bitching, I just felt sorry for the poor saps who weren't on good terms with the boss man, but the politics still existed even outside of the office world.

Fair enough, I'm sure that's true. I don't see much of it my little corner of things, but I know I'm lucky.

Perhaps more to the point - in the corporate world I felt that at most 50%, more like 30%, of the very significant amount of energy I expended really amounted to anything useful - the rest just fed the bureaucratic machine, and was mostly nonsense.

Now I feel like well over 95% of my effort goes towards some useful and meaningful end result. Said effort may be dirty, dusty, itchy, dangerous, and plain hard, but its going towards a good result.

Fair enough, I'm sure that's true. I don't see much of it my little corner of things, but I know I'm lucky.

Perhaps more to the point - in the corporate world I felt that at most 50%, more like 30%, of the very significant amount of energy I expended really amounted to anything useful - the rest just fed the bureaucratic machine, and was mostly nonsense.

Now I feel like well over 95% of my effort goes towards some useful and meaningful end result. Said effort may be dirty, dusty, itchy, dangerous, and plain hard, but its going towards a good result.

That I will agree with and lets leave it at that as I don't want to hijack this thread any further.....I still want my Google IPA damn it!!

I'm gonna have to go and try it out. Hopworks makes some (strangely enough) hoppy beers. Good stuff though. I'll have to go down and grab a growler...

Sweet! I do love me some Hopworks beer. Hopefully this will get Portland chosen for the fiber for communities project!

I went to Hopworks last night and tried it. It was pretty good. Tasted a lot like their normal IPA, but with a bit more malt flavor. The hops flavor is pretty much identical to their normal IPA (they both have the same IBU, so I'm assuming they have the exact same hopping schedule).

Well worth going to HUB to try out!

I know I'm going back to the first page of the discussion :eek: but the comments reminded me of something I heard a few years ago. Any idea what the job with the highest sense of satisfaction is?

Heavy Equipment Operator. Who'd have thunk it, dude driving a road grader or dozer has the highest job satisfaction. Seems that research showed HEOs were able to actually access their progress on a daily basis, even hourly which factors greatly into job satisfaction. Just a thought.

Schlante,
Phillip

Back