Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > SWMBO thinks I am awesome...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Fastmetal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default SWMBO thinks I am awesome...

...because I suggested we take romantic trip to Sonoma wine country. She then mentioned to me in passing that it might be fun for me to stop by Russian River and Langunita's. Our hotel (which she booked) is 1 block from Bear Republic!

I think she might be the one who is awesome!

Kegs- :-(
Primary- :-(

CDGoin Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Nice! I'd love to do that trip someday, for now we're "stuck" with the Finger Lakes when we want to get our wine on. Would *love* to spend a few [days] drinking at Russian River.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3466 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 2980

She's awesome. Russian River is great. Head west from there, hit the pacific coast highway, and drive south to SF. Maybe turnaround at Muir Woods if you want to avoid the city. That's some beautiful land.

If you end up at RR, just get their sampler platter.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Why not go to Paso Robles and go to the Firestone Brewery and there are a lot of Winery in the area. A nice beach is like 45 minutes away, Pismo Beach.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Nice! I'd love to do that trip someday, for now we're "stuck" with the Finger Lakes when we want to get our wine on. Would *love* to spend a few [days] drinking at Russian River.
New York State makes the only Rieslings I like. Why do California and Germany insist on 1.5%+ resididual sugar, even in their "dry" rieslings?

And also, they make the best Cab Francs in the world, hands down.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
Fastmetal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
Why not go to Paso Robles and go to the Firestone Brewery and there are a lot of Winery in the area. A nice beach is like 45 minutes away, Pismo Beach.
We did Paso 2 years ago. It was nice. Napa 2 years before that.

Kegs- :-(
Primary- :-(

Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
jkreuze
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My SWMBO booked us a trip to that area of wine country in a couple of months here as well, looking forward to it

Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
Why do California and Germany insist on 1.5%+ resididual sugar, even in their "dry" rieslings?
For German winemakers, it's about balancing the incredibly racy acidity that riesling produces in such a cool climate. Think adding sugar to lemon juice to make lemonade. That being said, more than 50% of German wine is truly dry (they just don't export to the US because the expectation here is for sweet). If you like truly dry riesling (I happen to love it), look to Austria (specifically in the Niederosterreich) and Alsace (in France). They have some bone-dry, mouth puckering, mineral-driven, fantastic wines.

As for the OP, if you're that close to Bear Republic, you're staying in Healdsburg, which is a great town. If you're looking for one of the best meals you'll ever have in your life (and possibly one of the most expensive), check out Cyrus. Also, many of the nearby wineries are truly world class. And yes, I definitely recommend you go down to Petaluma to go to Lagunitas. They do an awesome job of having live music and great beer, which is a +1 in my book.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Old 02-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Be sure to go on the lagunitas brewery tour. They always give you lots of samples!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Personally, I like the semi-dry Reislings that the better Finger Lakers producers make (we will also buy a few bottles of semi-sweet to give away). The semi-dry is what... maybe about 1% RS? The truly dry ones almost tastes a little thin, a little watery. Just a *little* sweetness brings out the fresh fruitiness, not too much, just a touch.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply