Super quick fermentation. O.k. to move already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I made a hopbursted IPA that OG'd at 1.066, I had a mix of WL001/WL002 in the fermenter and after 6 days it already registers at 1.010. I've never had a beer go down this fast, and it had a pretty lively/large krausen. It also clarified so much that it looks like it's already been in secondary.

I usually leave my beers in primary for about 2-3 weeks depending on what's going on w/it, but at this point I know that this thing is done fermenting.
I'm assuming that it's ok to move it to secondary so I can dry hop, but just want to make sure that there is no other reason I should keep it in the primary for any longer.

Any words?

Personally I'd let it go in primary for a while yet and give the yeast some more time to clean up after themselves. A lot of time you'll hit FG after just a few days but it only does good things to the beer to give it the extra week or 2. I'm sure if you go to secondary right away you'll still turn out a good beer, but if you have a pipeline full I wouldn't rush it. Just my 2 cents. Happy brewing!

Hey guys.

So I made a hopbursted IPA that OG'd at 1.066, I had a mix of WL001/WL002 in the fermenter and after 6 days it already registers at 1.010. I've never had a beer go down this fast, and it had a pretty lively/large krausen. It also clarified so much that it looks like it's already been in secondary.

I usually leave my beers in primary for about 2-3 weeks depending on what's going on w/it, but at this point I know that this thing is done fermenting.
I'm assuming that it's ok to move it to secondary so I can dry hop, but just want to make sure that there is no other reason I should keep it in the primary for any longer.

Any words?

Ale yeast fermentss quickly (relative to Lager yeast) so active fermentation being done in 6 days is very realistic.

Test gravity then tomorrow test gravity, if the same give it another day or two for a rest then begin chilling (crash).

This same subject came up a week or so ago and I will restate that I regularly have 3 and 6bbl batches finished in an average of 3-5 days from OG 1.050 - FG 1.010 at 68 degrees.

I would wait at least 3 days after FG is reached, and then dryhop for 5-7 days before packaging. I normally don't rack for dryhopping, and instead just add the dryhops to the fermenter gently about a week before I plan to package.

Make sure the FG is stable & give it another couple days to settle out clear. It cleans things up as it settles out. Then package.

Thanks for all the responses.
I guess the main reason I was asking is that the beer already looked completely clear as well as being at FG (at 1.010 now... I've never had an ale go below that) It's crazy how clear it is already, looked like I already cold crashed it.
By your advice though, I'll give it a couple more days to be sure. Probably transfer to 2ndary and start dry hop on Monday maybe.

I have been using the English Ale WLP 002 for my last few batches, and it finishes and clears quickly for me.

Back