Stout carpet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I guess I better head for home now. Daughter called a short time ago to let me know that the big stout I brewed up (and brought in because the ferm chamber shut down and caused the wort to drop to 32) has "...exploded on the carpet."

Now I would not doubt if she was exaggerating just a bit. I did ask if there was anything on the walls or ceiling, and she said no, but I think it might be best if I left soon and had time to clean up everything before the wife gets home.

FWIW this bucket did have a blowoff tube, but apparently it, and the airlock, both got plugged with stuff. Must need a bigger hose.

Good luck and don't forget to take pics of the explosion!

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

I'm guessing it's not that bad. My daughter would have been much more "excited" about the event had it been something interesting.

I gave her instructions to clean the lid, move the bucket to a room with hard floors, clean the airlock, sanitize it, replace it, and then get the carpet cleaner out.

Does anyone know if stout will stain carpet?

Well, I have a plan B. All I have to do is pour me a glass of stout and be standing over by the stain when the wife gets home. Then when she walks through the door I turn around quickly and in my eagerness to go give her a hug I "accidentally" spill my glass of stout... Just about where the stain is.

The effect of this would be:
A) Hide the fact that my fermenting beer stained the carpet.
B) She's thrilled I am so eager to see her after work.
C) I may be too buzzed to drive the kid to dance tonight.

There may be other upsides to this plan.

I know you are going to owe one to your daughter.

I know it's going to stain.

Oxyclean if you got it. Good luck.

Well, I got home and the fermentor was not there and neither was the stain. She had no problem cleaning it up with the machine.

Just before the start of last night's epsiode of Supernatural she sits down and says, "Almost time for Supernatural!"

I commented that I was already watching the hockey game. She looks at me and says, "I cleaned up your stout."

Eh, the Wings were losing anyway...

I use a "trugtub" to prevent brewer's broadloom problems.

bosco

I even have one of those. I even had it in the house when I brewed the stout, planning to use it with an aquarium heater to control the fermentation temps in the house. But I never found the heater, so I put it back in the garage. Probably would have saved the day for sure.

Back