Storing wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
I'm looking to start harvesting a few yeast strains I want for my upcoming brews. I just finished a Brown ale, and collected some second runnings. I boiled this down to about 1.070 (by accident), so I added some tap water to bring it down to 1.040. I poured into a gallon water jug (plastic milk jug). Will this work? I'm not quite sure how long I plan to store this but do I care about oxygenation if I'm not worried about the flavor, just a source of maltose? Also, am I gonna have a problem because I had to dilute with tap water. Thanks.

Search for "no-chill" brewing - its similar to what you are discussing.

IMHO - you run the risk of

• Aeration
  • Contamination
  • Chlorine flavors

I get no chill brewing, but thats done in a bucket or carboy. I have half a gallon in a water jug. Possibly storing for up to a month. Is it possible for contamination through the walls of the milk jug? And does oxygenation affect flavor only? All i want out of this is a supply of maltose suitable to harvest yeast.

I get no chill brewing, but thats done in a bucket or carboy. I have half a gallon in a water jug. Possibly storing for up to a month. Is it possible for contamination through the walls of the milk jug? And does oxygenation affect flavor only? All i want out of this is a supply of maltose suitable to harvest yeast.

I wasn't really referring to the "no-chilling" portion but more the "hot pack into a cubitainer" part. Sorry for being vague.if this is just for yeast starters I guess it'd be fine except for the risk of contamination.

As far as contam thru a milk jug - I think if that was an issue then we wouldn't keep milk in them...:mug:

Yah I use my own version of No chill so I'm somewhat familiar. I guess just wondering if there's a better option out there. Should I put the jug in the fridge. Just leave it in my basement. I figure it should be fine just wanted to know if someone knew of a problem. How long could Is store this wort?

I only ask this because I don't really have access to DME and have been looking for the next best option. i cant find this malta goya anywhere so I resorted to this.

I've recently started boiling a big batch and canning sterile wort. I just store it in the fridge for starters, since as far as I can tell the ph requires refridgeration.

This might be my new favorite brewing strategy. No, boiling and cooling DME for a starter isn't much of a big deal. But I really like being able to just set out a jar of wort and a jar of yeast, go do something else, come back when it's near room temp, pitch, shake the crap out of it, throw on a piece of tin foil and be done.

It means just a bit less planning ahead. Which is always a plus with my chaotic life! Also makes it super easy to step up a starter if you want a bigger one...

Oh and, PS, I've also been canning sterile water for yeast washing. The boiling process helps deoxygenate the water and helps puts the yeast to sleep. But you want o2 in the wort when you actually pitch the yeast.

Back