Stone vertical 090909

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
...........the label clearly states to age this beer until december 12 2012, so I opened it and enjoyed it immensely.

I am sure that most of you know this, but there is a special message to homebrewers on the bottle.

http://stonebrew.com/epic/Wc6297b16717fd.htm

The link provides a recipe and in depth commentary on procedure and ingredients.

Freaking awesome of them.

For those of you with more self control, let me give a novice review:

THE BEST DARK BEER I HAVE EVER TASTED

Definite notes of alcohol

No detectable tangerine or orqange flavor, not much vanilla either, but I think both are in the background smoothing out the chocolate malt. No harshness at all. Very smooth and filling.

WOW. Loved it.

I savored it for 45 minutes.

There is a lot on the bottle, but the web site provides a vast article on brewing this beer.

DOWN fineexamlple!!

DOWN!! BAD EXAMPLE!!! BAD!!!;)

I REALY like the '09. The '08 is pretty good too. I have three bottles of '07 that I'm holding on to, but it's not my favorite of the three.

I plan on stocking up on '08s and '09s as well, but I keep spending my money on other beers. I should get on it before they run out!

there are some damn tasty looking recipes on there. im going to have to make one of those next.

Apparently the '02 is the best, and keeps getting better.
Not sure how close a homebrew can come to the original though, especially without being able to sample it!

In case you didn't already see it on the site too, they take submissions every year to see who can get the closest to the original. Might be a fun challenge!

I've got an 080808 that I've been holding onto.
I had three, but the first two didnt make it that long, they were quite tasty. suppossed to be a belgian thats hopped in the west coast way.
I thought it mighty tasty

I highly recommend it.

I wasn't expecting a dark beer from past epic reviews. It hit the spot after some spicy Qdoba.

For some reason, was glad that the tangerine didn't really present itself. For anyone else who is squeamish about that, fear not.

Great post. Great link. Great info.

Just reading the recipe/process was making my beer jowls water.

Tangerine and vanilla? French oak?

Holy crap that sounds intense. I might need to gather up the ingredients and get this 1080 brewed and kegged to enjoy next winter. :ban:

Oh...and it's nice to hear the pros agree with me...even though it took 50+ batches for me to figure it out. :D

Lower temperatures and a longer conversion time rests help accentuate dryness of beer.

They used the Wyeast Ardennes strain. I absolutely freaking love that strain, I think its my favorite. I've brewed two beers with it this year, and I'm doing another one with it tomorrow.

Saw the 090909 in the store yesterday and didn't grab it. I'll have to pick one up tomorrow.

Pretty much any bombers of theirs that you can get your hands on.
Obviously, I'd like to get a Dark Lord, but I'm not sure if those are available or not.

Can you not get any Stone beers, or just the VE's?

Pretty much any bombers of theirs that you can get your hands on.
Obviously, I'd like to get a Dark Lord, but I'm not sure if those are available or not.

Can you not get any Stone beers, or just the VE's?

I can get most of the Bastard series and Stone IPA and Pale Ales.

I know we don't have Dark Lord up here because I've been looking for that one but we have most other Three Floyds beers.

Great post. Great link. Great info.

Just reading the recipe/process was making my beer jowls water.

Tangerine and vanilla? French oak?

Holy crap that sounds intense. I might need to gather up the ingredients and get this 1080 brewed and kegged to enjoy next winter. :ban:

Oh...and it's nice to hear the pros agree with me...even though it took 50+ batches for me to figure it out. :D

I thought their ferment temp was way high. 72F wasn't it?

This is a really mellow beer. Intense experience, but a smooth mellow beer.

I have a 09 that I am trying to age, but I don't have a dedicated cellar so we will see long I can hold out.

My justification was that it was in the cooler of the liquor world mega store.....

I figure that inhibits much of the aging and actually begins to lager out flavor.

I'm just glad I reached it in time......;)

I was referring to the mash temp. :D

Much like good BBQ or just about anything eh?

Slow and steady wins the race. SLOW AND LOW.

Mmmm.... I'm trying a 090909 right now, and I think it's gotten better!

Definitely the favorite of the three that I've tried (07, 08, 09).

God, I love stone.

This is some great beer. You also have to try their Sublimely Self Righteous Black IPA. It's to die for.

04 was still my favorite of all of these. I thought 09 was too hot and not balanced when I opened my first bottle. I'll have to revisit that. I think I have one more. 07 was an abortion when you consider the rest of the series.

I opened a 2006 Double Bastard this weekend. I had a sip and then had Gremlyn chug it. I also have a couple bottles of 12th anniversary that should be good by now.

Latest posts

Back