Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > step mash - Lagers only - benefits or waste of time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default step mash - Lagers only - benefits or waste of time?

Hi,
I have an E-BIAB setup.
So step mashing is easy for me.
I am interested in step mashing for lagers only.

I listened to the podcast the other day about Vienna lagers and the author recommended a mash of 130, then 150 then 160.

I ask the lager brewers, are there any taste benefits to a lager beer by doing a step mash?

thanks Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 128

With today's well modified malts, probably not so much. But decoctions are super fun and I do believe they make for better beer, especially with lagers.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

SteveHeff Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

My friends who do decoctions swear there's a definite difference. I think they're unnecessary. That being said, I'll do it eventually b/c it's a traditional practice I'd like to add to my repertoire.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 143

The reasoning that malt is high modified, low protein, therefore, a step mash nor decoction isn't needed. Was started by a guy that didn't understand that certain things, having nothing to do with high modification, are created during the step or decoction method. A step mash or decoction create minerals and nutrients that aid yeast reproduction and an environment that aid enzymes. When some one mentions that 2 row, high modified malt is low in protein, is true. However, the term protein is a broad term. Excess protein is responsible for chill haze. During the 130F step that the recipe calls out. Protein, though less of it in high mod. malt, is broken down into albumin. It's albumin that creates body and head retention in the beer. When using high mod. malt, the 130F rest can be over done, resulting in a thin beer. Keep the rest short. Lagers are meant to be aged, not boiler to belly in 4 weeks. The step mash mimics the decoction except for the boiling part. The process is done to create a cleaner beer, free of excess starch and chill haze protein. The beer has the ability to age, and have a longer shelf life. George Fix developed the step mash method.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4637 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I do a very short rest at 133 for many of my lagers. I normally decoct, but infusion works well also especially for lighter lagers.

Is it strictly necessary? No, probably not. But I feel that I get a cleaner tasting lager with the right mouthfeel.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

How short? I am currently drinking a Munich Helles that I mashed at 132 for 15 minutes and I ended up with no head retention. It pours with a pretty nice foam cap of really tight bubbles, but they totally disappear at high speed. It's almost like you can hear them fizzing out. Glassware is clean and retains head on other beers. I also did an overnight mash that I started too low (148f), and the beer went from 1.053 to 1.005 - so I may have just wiped out the protein with my entire mash.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

I have experimented many times making the same recipe using step infusion mashes, decoction, and single infusion. I have never found any improvements (and minor, if any differences) by using step infusions or decoctions.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I have experimented many times making the same recipe using step infusion mashes, decoction, and single infusion. I have never found any improvements (and minor, if any differences) by using step infusions or decoctions.
Denny, the rational part of me suspects this is true. But I still don't want to admit it.

I do think there's a difference for a ferulic acid rest. Or maybe not. But I still do it anyway.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Might depend on whether taste buds are stunned. Or, there is a failure within the processes used in the experiment. Experimenting means just that, experimenting. Experimenting would prove little, it it was done according to the way a person figured it should be done, if the person figured the wrong way. Perhaps, that's why you see minor, if any differences.

OP. Overnight mashing accomplishes little, enzymes become denatured with time and temp. After an hour or so at 148, beta is denatured. In a couple of hours alpha denatures. The grav. dropped low, due, to the 148 temp rest. The 148F rest makes a more fermentable wort. The beer will be thinner. Before a certain rest can accomplish what it is supposed to do, mash pH needs to be in the park. The degree of protein reduction during the protein rest can be based on how thick and slimy the protein sludge is, that lays on top of the filter bed. It should be pretty thick and kind of powdery. If it's gummy, the mashing process needs improvement. Doing BIAB or batch sparge methods, make it harder to determine if certain things take place, if those processes are blended with a step mash or decoction method, that are usually fly sparged through a filter bed.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the replies thus far.

The people who have done the same recipe both ways, were they lager recipes?
Just asking if a light lager would show through any taste differences for a step vs single infused mash.

thanks Kevin

Quick Reply