Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Starter Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
pava
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Starter Question?

So it is general practice when making a starter to continue to add oxygen throughout the fermentation through a stir plate or intermittent shaking.

Now my question is when adding the starter to wort does this have the potential of introducing off flavors due to the oxygenation of the starter wort?

I know some people decant their starters and pitch just the yeast slurry, but others pitch at high kreusen, so is there a risk of off flavors here or is this a non issue?

Aging/DryHopping:
Planned:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Lots'a debate on this one. I personally pitch the entire 1L starter at high krausen. Granted, I sniff it first to make sure it doesn't smell off. Haven't had one smell odd yet. If so, I guess I'd chill and decant it.

- CStone

Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I prefer to decant and pitch only the slurry. A lot depends on what style you are brewing. It shouldn't much matter in most dark ales, but for the lighter styles I like to keep them as clean as possible. I frequently step up my starters two or three times to insure a big slug of slurry to pitch. There's no one size fits all answer to this question.

Quick Reply