So I cooled the wort 40 degrees in 20 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElyIrishBrew

Reaction score
It started at 107 degrees after I did the boil and added 3 gallons of 50-degree water.

Put the fermentation bucket in a big cooler in the back yard and ran the garden hose into the cooler. Pretty cold up here, and groundwater temp is about 50 degrees. Kept the hose running half speed to maintain circulation in the cooler, and just let the overflow saturate the grass in the back yard.

There was about a 4-inch clearance between the top of the cooler and the top of the fermentation bucket. Pulled the lid off the fermentation bucket a few times and stirred to get the cooling effect all the way through. All implements and bucket sanitized, and hands dipped in Starsan as well.

Pitched the yeast when the wort temp was 68 F, brought the ferm bucket into the house (my office, so I can smell it all happening) and expecting some bubbling in the blowoff tube tomorrow a.m.

I used the kitchen sink with running water before I made an immersion coil, got the job done. When the boil kettle was only partial and still fit in the sink, coil inside, water outside, did great.
Wish I could check on my beer anytime all day at work and home both!

It is nice, running businesses from home. :)

Wort is at 66 degrees but haven't heard any bubbling from the blowoff tube yet.

Back