Single Hop APAs/IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
I brewed an all-Galena APA recently. It turned out pretty well, with a very dark, fruity bitterness, and as a result, I'm curious about others' single-hop (not SMaSH) APAs/IPAs.

So, if you brew a single-hop beer, which hop do you use and why?

I normally use hops I'm trying to familiarize myself with. I made a Citra SMaSH, and after drinking it realized how much I like the hops, and now have a Citra IPA recipe, which is almost a SMaSH recipe. But I've also done hops that I really like, like Chinook and Fuggles.

I've done a Palisade single-hop APA and it was pretty nice. I got fruitiness from them, but not citrus, if that makes sense. I think they're kind of an underappreciated hop.

As a relatively new brewer sometimes I do single hop beers simply to really get to know a type of hop...it's bittering characteristics, flavor, aroma etc.

The only single hop one I did was with Amarillo....yum

I do tend to blend hops for a little more complexity. Some combos are just right for each other.

But doing single hop brews is a good way to figure out what they taste like.

My buddy cleaned out some discount Magnum at the lhbs so I brewed an all Magnum IPA. Carbing in the keezer and nearly ready to sample. Not a hop you would normally single hop with but what the hell. I'll post back once I have a chance to taste it.

Recently did a Citra APA and it turned out well. My attempt was really to familiarize myself with the hop and wouldn't brew this particular beer again as a single hop. I'm thinking paired with Cascade it would be a winner and give some complexity. Cascade is still my favorite single hop variety for APA's.

Chinook is my favorite IPA single hop variety!

I just made a cascade/citra IPA. They pair really well together. Cotta is too much on it's own.
My favorite single hop is Columbus.

I got in an order of Nelson Sauvin hops from NZ after trying Mikkeller single-hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, and brewed up a batch using the Double Simcoe recipe on the forums as a baseline. I also dry-hopped with NS and a tiny bit of Cascade to express a bit more citrus, but it was 95% NS. Such a good hop. I cracked open a bottle and the brew has developed this wonderful honey taste on top of the tropicals from the NS.

The Christmas brew I just did was all Cluster for both bittering and aroma. I was surprised at how good a hop it actually was - at least for the purpose of making a spice beer. So many people poo-poo it, but it definitely has a place.

I've done Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo single hop beers. All of them turned out to be quite good.

I just made a cascade/citra IPA. They pair really well together. Cotta is too much on it's own.
My favorite single hop is Columbus.

The key to using Citra is to NOT use it for bittering. I did a Citra pale ale that I bittered with magnum and it came out with a pleasant tropical fruit flavor.

i have had great success bittering with citra. i have a steam that i'm about to put on tap that is single hopped with northern brewer, may have used waaaaay too much, but i bet i will like it.
like everyone else said, i use single hopping to get a real feel for a hop i am a little unsure about.
my all citra apa was my favorite of the bunch so far though.

I have access to columbus whole hops and was thinking of doing an IPA.

I just did an all Columbus ipa. Turned out awesome. Bought it as an ag kit from more beer aside from the horrible grain crush I had no complaints with the kit.

Columbus is the next hop I've had my mind set on brewing... but I've got 4 oz. each of Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe in the freezer too... ah well. You never can have too much hops on hand, I guess.

I make a Centennial IPA ... have brewed this recipe twice and now planning a third batch. It has become my favorite beer.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale uses all Centenial and is quite tasty. I am planning on doing something similar as soon as I can harvest some Bell's yeast.

I find all Citra to be too much but paired with some Amarillo and it is very tasty.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale uses all Centenial and is quite tasty. I am planning on doing something similar as soon as I can harvest some Bell's yeast.

I find all Citra to be too much but paired with some Amarillo and it is very tasty.

I was just about to say that. eschatz's clone recipe is beyond amazing, and Bell's yeast, despite being very similar to 1056 is also great in it's own way. I actually use it now for all of my American ales.

Columbus is the next hop I've had my mind set on brewing... but I've got 4 oz. each of Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe in the freezer too... ah well. You never can have too much hops on hand, I guess.

Do you still have the hop additions/amounts, etc.

A local craft brewery, Alley Kat, recently released a single hopped IIPA with simcoe. It is called Red Dragon Double IPA, delicious. I am considering brewing something similar with some additional IBUs myself but I would need around a pound of simcoe.

Just bottled a second batch of Amarillo IPA. The first batch was delicious and received high marks from friends.

Excellent, excellent; this is just what I was looking for. Thanks, and keep it coming if you've got it...

I relisted all the varieties mentioned so far for convenience:

Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Citra
Columbus
Fuggles
Hallertau
Nelson Sauvin
Palisade
Simcoe

beergolf said:

I did a bells two hearted clone and it was great! All centennial.

That is where I got the idea... emailed Bell's Brewmaster and asked for info. Very simple 2-row and crystal 40 and carapils and all centennial hops. I used Oberon for yeast and I have used Amber Ale for yeast since all of the Bell's beers use the same yeast. Makes a great beer.
Ok now I am thirsty .. going to go home and drink one

Recently did a Citra APA and it turned out well. My attempt was really to familiarize myself with the hop and wouldn't brew this particular beer again as a single hop. I'm thinking paired with Cascade it would be a winner and give some complexity. Cascade is still my favorite single hop variety for APA's.

I just made a cascade/citra IPA. They pair really well together.

My APA is all Cascade, but perhaps I'll have to consider pairing it with citra too!

I've never made any other single hop brews, but I had the Simcoe Imperial IPA from Flying Dog over the summer and I thought it was absolutely fantastic!

I have done an APA that was all Centennial and an IPA that was all Cascades. Both turned out well, overall I think I prefer Centennial.

did a smash with simcoe - never again. it's good, but i'm a C hop guy for IPAs. after that, styrian and saaz.

Latest posts

Back