Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Semi-newbie in need of REAL help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
ASpeedyGTO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Semi-newbie in need of REAL help!!

Hello and thank you for reading my post. I am in my second year of home brewing, and to date have made about 15 batches. The first 4 or 5 turned out great, however the last 10 have produced a consistent, persistent problem that I have not been able to solve.

Long story short, everything is fine until I keg and carbonate. About 1 week after kegging and carbonating, the beer takes on a grapefruit flavor that gets worse and worse each day. By week 2, it tastes like strong grapefruit juice and all original aspects of the beer have vanished. The body, maltiness, and original hop bitterness goes away and I'm left with a very disappointing batch. Also, after a few days of being under CO2 and cold temperatures, the color goes away and turns completely tan.....very similar to muddy water. I am confident that this is not chill haze.

This problem does not discriminate on style.......doesn't matter if it is an IPA, pale ale, amber, etc.......doesn't matter. For example, the most recent batch was a Stone's IPA clone. I kept a sample out when I kegged it, and it looked, smelled, and tasted just about spot on (as much as a clone recipe could!). 1-2 weeks later, I have muddy looking grapefruit juice. It definitely can be consumed......it just tastes like the last 10 batches.

Please help! I am at a loss and running out of ideas. My latest thoughts are that I may be letting too much agitation (aeration) happen while transferring go the keg, but have not brewed again to test this theory.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would take a swing at "Water" (where its from...bla.bla..) and even maybe kegging to short after fermentation, (cool it down and let it sit for as long as possible for yeast to drop out.)
Next would be your gas or something inside the keg
OR INFECTION!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How many kegs do you have?
Do you use the same keg over and over..?

What is your clean and sanitize process?
What are you using to clean and sanitize...?

From what you are saying...it has to be something between your fermenter and the keg tap.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Are you dry-hopping? Grapefruit flavors come from hops (a lot) and typically fade with age. My IPA tastes like biting into a grapefruit about a week after dry-hopping but 4 weeks later it mellows out.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
ASpeedyGTO
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD View Post
I would take a swing at "Water" (where its from...bla.bla..) and even maybe kegging to short after fermentation, (cool it down and let it sit for as long as possible for yeast to drop out.)
Next would be your gas or something inside the keg
OR INFECTION!
Thanks for your insight. I'll try using bottled or RO water for the nex batch. Infection is in the back of my mind, however I think that I do a good job with the cleaning & sanitizing.

What kinds of things could go wrong with the gas?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
ASpeedyGTO
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Mursed View Post
How many kegs do you have?
Do you use the same keg over and over..?

What is your clean and sanitize process?
What are you using to clean and sanitize...?

From what you are saying...it has to be something between your fermenter and the keg tap.
@ E-Mursed ......thanks for replying. I have 2 kegs that I generally alternate between. Purchased them new from Northern Brewer and they've only had beer in them. I use LD Carlston's (?) cleaning powder, then follow it up with Star San sanitizer. Typically I scrub really well then let things soak in sanitizer solution.

I feel that I'm pretty good with the cleaning, however I could be wrong. If cleaning is my problem, I don't know what I need to change about it to make it better. I feel that I'm pretty thorough and careful.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm usually going for grapefruit flavor without as much bitterness...that being said cloudy with a color change would concern me too. Did you change to kegging at some point? Or have you been doing that all along?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpeedyGTO View Post
What kinds of things could go wrong with the gas?
There is debate that gas is more pure from a beverage gas supplier than from a welding gas supplier. I tend to think that it all come from the same place initially.

Other than that, a lot of carbonation can give it a carbonic acid bite, but that does not taste like grapefruit.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Bottle a few next time.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
ASpeedyGTO
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
Are you dry-hopping? Grapefruit flavors come from hops (a lot) and typically fade with age. My IPA tastes like biting into a grapefruit about a week after dry-hopping but 4 weeks later it mellows out.
Hi Slipgate....thanks for your response. I have read articles that describe what you're saying. Yes, I dry-hopped this last one......since it is a Stone's IPA clone, I expected a little bit of the citrusy flavor since the commercial stuff has somewhat of a flavor.

Unfortunately, all of my batches end up tasting the same, and the grapefruit flavor just seems to get worse! I am thinking that next time, I'm going to make a brown ale.......something that I know isn't supposed to have any flavors like that in it at all.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS