secondary with ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
So the recipe called for 6oz of ginger @ 30 and 2@15 then it calls for another 2 and a half at secondary... is it even worth throwing two oz's of ginger in secondary for a week??

I'd do what the recipe says. I made a ginger wheat beer where I included 2 oz in 2ndary (as well as a couple of additions to the boil) and it came out great.

That seems like quite a bit of ginger. Just my take. But, you could always ferment it out, package it as is and see if you like it with that amount. If not, you could always make it again and add more ginger. I've made a few ginger beers/meads and I found it is easy to go overboard on the ginger.

It's only a little more than the one I did, but I had some of it in for the whole 60 minute boil. The flavor was great but I wished it'd had some bite/heat to it.

Wait, just to be clear, we are talking about fresh ginger not ginger powder, right?

Back