The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Saturday Night Rambling Post

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Hannable1975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Saturday Night Rambling Post

OK warning - I have had a few, after only a little sleep , after a 30 HOUR work shift - so If I wander off too much - my advance apologies.

Just some things I thought of while perusing the threads here:

1) I am brewing my second batch, it is a Brewer's Best Brown ALE. It s STILL actively fermenting, with a "blurp" of the airlock about once every 75 seconds or so - after a week. Man I think that's gonna be some popskull. LOL. But I wonder - should I leave it much longer in the primary - or move it to a secondary to finish out and "fine" it?

2) Been enjoying some Sweet Water IPA from Atlanta. I like them. I'm the rare ( or it seems ) not a Hops fan - but this stuff is good to me.

3) I really like HBT. I have not been a memeber here long, but read it daily and try to look for answers before piping up. Folks here seem to be very helpful and for the most part nice, The few times I've seen someone get a little heat I have to admit it seems like it is deserved. Nice place to be, really.

and

4) (This kinda relates to # 2 ) I am interested, on an experimental and intellectual level - to try to " harvest " some yeasy from a bottle of brwed beer - really just to see if I can do it. The Sweet Water's claim " Non Filtered and Non Pasturized" - but does NOT say Bottle conditoned, and no yeast sediment. So if I were to try, does anyone predict any success, or would I be wasting my time? ( FYI - Bought from a big chain commercial grocery, in NC )

Thanks Guys - and here's toasting you all to more Home brew fun!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
ksbrain
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Rock on rambling dude.

I'm not certain, but without sediment, I wouldn't think there'd be much to harvest.

IMO if you want to copy Sweet Water try to find which yeast they use. And if you want to try harvesting, go with a sure bet of a known bottle conditioned beer.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Hannable1975
Recipes 

Not so much to copy them - just want to try my hand at a harvest. But see no point in a futile attempt. As far as finding a sedimented bottle ( besides my own ) , I guess I need to make some local brewing friends. LOL.

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If you just want to do it for fun, pick one of these:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/467846

I'm gonna guess you can get Sierra Nevada somewhere.

I have a bottle of Bell's Oberon I want to clone the yeast from, just to see if I can.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
nebben
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

A 30 hour shift? Do you work in higher education?

I do, I'm still here on Saturday night. I've been here past 2AM for the past three nights. ... sadly, even one beer is enough to make me want to sleep. In another few hours...it'll be time.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 AM   #6
Hannable1975
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
A 30 hour shift? Do you work in higher education?

I do, I'm still here on Saturday night. I've been here past 2AM for the past three nights. ... sadly, even one beer is enough to make me want to sleep. In another few hours...it'll be time.
Highway Construction.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:49 AM   #7
Prime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can leave the brown ale in the primary. It's not necessary to move it to secondary. A lot of people on here (myself included) just stay in primary for 3-4 weeks and skip the secondary. The only time I do a secondary is if I am dryhopping or adding something to the beer post fermentation.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
tdoft
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Everytime I see Sweetwater IPA I think of one of my favorites: Sweetwater IPA from Jackson Hole. It's a great IPA as well. Must be something in the name that encourages good IPA formation..... Good luck harvesting yeasties. I'd try it from whatever you've got since if you pull it off from an unexpected source it will be all the better/more impressive.

As far as working 30hrs straight...that's plain dangerous. I worked 48 straight and nearly killed someone...

Quick Reply